How do I get Base to work under Lubuntu 16.04?

I have a fresh installation of Lubuntu 16.04 (up-to-date). I then installed LibreOffice 6.0.2.1 (after downloading LibreOffice_6.0.2_Linux_x86_deb.tar.gz and extracting) using sudo dpkg -i *.deb

All works well EXCEPT Base.

1. I open LibreOffice and click on Base Database.
  2. I create a new registered database.
  3. When I save the database, Libreoffice closes.
  4. I then reopen LibreOffice and open my new database for editing.
  5. It opens with the Forms icon highlighted.
  6. I click on the Tables icon to edit this database and LibreOffice closes.

I tried opening a different .obd file that I created in MS Windows. The same problem occurred when I clicked on the Tables icon.

I raised this matter in the Ubuntu forum and was told that LibreOffice Base is now not compatible with Ubuntu. Is that true?

Hello,

Have you installed either Oracle JRE or Open-JDK (must be 32-bit because of the LO you have chosen - why not 64-bit LO)? Have heard nothing about LO Base not being compatible in Ubuntu. Works fine under all distros I have tried.

I have the following installed:

default-jre

default-jre-headless

openjdk-8-jre

openjdk-8-jre-headless

Do I still need Oracle JRE or Open-JDK?

I am not rich. My PC is over 10 years old, second hand and a 32-bit system. CPU is 1.6Hz with 1GB of RAM.

Hello,

Not familiar with ‘default-jre’ and have never used ‘openjdk-8-jre’ in 32-bit mode. I have used Oracle JRE in 32-bit and it worked with Base on Ubuntu 32-bit OS.

First check settings in LO. See my answer this post → Problem with Java. If Java cannot be located, install 32-bit JRE from Oracle & re-check settings.

If this answers your question please tick the :heavy_check_mark: (upper left area of answer). It helps others to know there was an accepted answer.

In LO, Options>LibreOffice>Advanced shows a checked “Use a Java runtime environment” and that Java runtime environments (JRE) already installed is Oracle Corporation version 1.8.0_151

OK. Found an old post of mine working with an older Ubuntu 32-bit version and LO 32-bit. Turns out that on that test jre1.8.0_101 would not work. Downloaded jre-7u80-linux-i586.tar.gz from Oracle and everything worked fine. Created .odb, table, form - all worked.

If you install the v7 JRE, make sure in options it is the one selected.

It looks like Java 7 is no longer available for download. I have done numerous searches and have not been able to find a reliable site that offers Java 7 download.

From the Java web site:

"Where can I get Java 7 downloads?

July 2015: Java 7 are no longer available to the public. Oracle offers updates to Java 7 only for customers who have purchased Java support or have Oracle products that require Java 7."

Are there any other suggestion?

That’s not accurate. Have found easily on internet search → Java SE 7 Archive Downloads. Just accept the license agreement & download.

Thank you for the link. I downloaded jre-7u80-linux-i586.tar.gz and extracted. Then in LO Tools>Options>Advanced I added the path to JRE 1.7.0_80 and set it as the JRE to use. Restarted LO, however the problem persisted.

I have found a work-around to me problem here. In a nutshell, I add the kernel parameter “stack_guard_gap=1” the my grub file. I am not sure what this parameter means or does, however it works for me.

Now all of LO is working as expected (I hope).