How do I insert named ranges in charts?

I’ve been working on a series of spreadsheets with the same type of data (they’re outputs of benchmarking data for my videocard), and have been experimenting on how to streamline my workflow.

I’ve recently attempted to make named database ranges for each of my 10,000’s-of-rows data columns in lieu of manually selecting them for the data selection part of the chart wizard. Alas, it seems it’s not as intuitive as I first thought.

How can I make use of the named ranges I made to easily plug into a new chart? Is it even possible?

I have planned to fix that for some time and hope to fix it finally as part of some major chart rework for 4.3 Before that it is sadly not possible to use range names in charts.

@mmohrhard I downloaded the current 4.4 build (4.4.2.2, Build-ID: c4c7d…) and there is not yet a possibility to use range names in charts D:

me too, it is not possible! :frowning:

@mmohrhard @matteo.bonaker I’m using libreoffice 6.0.6.2 (Build ID: 1:6.0.6-0ubuntu0.16.04.1), but I could not find how to achieve it.

It is not currently possible to use named ranges in charts. The related enhancement request is fdo#66250 (Apache OO issue aoo#64604). Refer related question here.

A workaround is to select an additional row (above and below) for the Data Range and ensure the option described in this answer is selected. Inserting a new row beneath the last row will automatically update the chart as expected.