How do I run a batch file from LibreOffice 6.4.0.3 (x64) Writer?

I have a large number of reference CD-ROMs which are stored on my HD as ISO images. I use batch files to load an image into a virtual CD drive and run the executable that opens the image. In previous versions of LibreOffice I used hyperlinks in Writer to launch the batch file, and that always worked fine. In 6.4.0.3 the program complains " “file:///C:/Program%252520Files%252520(x86)/fav/ftm523.bat” is not an absolute URL that can be passed to an external application to open it." The batch file can still be launched from a shortcut and everything works fine, but this new version of LibreOffice will no longer launch a batch file from a hyperlink. Do I need to revert to an older version of LibreOffice to restore this functionality? Note that this happens on both my Win7 Pro x64 laptop and Win10Pro x64 desktop ever since I upgraded to 6.4.0.3 (x64).

Update: I just un-installed 6.4.0.3 (x86) from my Win10 desktop and re-installed 6.1.4.2 (x86), and the hyperlinks to batch files work perfectly under that version but will not work under 6.4.0.3 (x86).

Dale H. Cook, Member, NEHGS, AGS, MA Soc. of Mayflower Descendants;
Plymouth Co. MA Coordinator for the USGenWeb Project
Administrator of https://plymouthcolony.net

Yes that was an intended change.

IMHO that was a lousy change - what is the rationale for that change? It will prevent me from updating LibreOffice going forward unless there is a workaround. If there is no workaround I will just have to find some other supported program to use even if I have to pay for it.

Note that if this change was made because batch files are “antiquated” that attitude is incorrect - batch files are still supported in the current version of Windows 10.

This was not because of batch files being “antiquated” - that was a security hardening change.

In what way does launching a batch file from a hyperlink violate security?

When someone creates a hyperlink in a document that is able to run an arbitrary executable on your system, and sends you the document, tricking you into clicking it, it is a vulnerability.

I have been working with computers for decades - I took my first college-level course in computer programming in 1967. I understand how that would be a vulnerability for an inexperienced, or even an experienced but security-vulnerable, computer user. I am, however, an experienced security-conscious user. In my last full-time position before retirement I was responsible for the security of a small wide-area corporate network of about fifty Windows computers. Trying to protect inexperienced computer users from their own ignorance and stupidity seems to me to be a futile effort. If I recall correctly, in Friedrich von Schiller’s 1801 drama “Die Jungfrau von Orleans” (English title “The Maid of Orleans”) he wrote"Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens" (English translation “Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain”). Unfortunately protecting some people against stupidity penalizes those who are not stupid.

Absolutely agree. However, the things are as they are, and I only described to you why was it changed this way.

I understand. I will check to see if Microsoft Office or any other commercial Word-compatible office suites still support launching a batch file from a hyperlink. It will take several months to save enough to afford to buy one of those, but it may be my only choice for a currently supported program that will do what I need it to do.

FTR: tdf#140886

A quick check shows that I am best off saving my shekels and staying with 6.1.5.2.