How do I send a mail merge email with an attachment

I am trying to set up mail merge in Librae office 7 how do I do that and add an attachment PDF

Hi @Supawa

This video might be useful: Libreoffice -Mail Merge to send bulk Certificates as pdf attachments - YouTube

In a nutshell:

• Set up your email account in Tools - Options - LibreOffice Writer - Mail Merge Email
  • Use a spreadsheet that contains the values (e.g. names, emails…) and make it available with Edit - Exchange Database
  • Open the Data Sources panel with View - Data Sources
  • Open the table and drag-and-drop the column headings in the right spot in your document (i.e. where your fields will be populated)
  • Click on the Mail Merge icon in the Data Sources toolbar, change settings if needed, click “Finish”
  • Click “Send Email Messages” in the new toolbar that pops up
  • In the dialog, change the settings as needed, and in particular you want to change “Send as” to PDF document. That way, the document will be attached to the email as a PDF.

I hope that helps!

I have actually a similar issue - I want to send a mailmerge text as HTML mail and attach a PDF to each mail. Is that possible?

Yes, it may be possible unless you send via 2-factor-authentification (Google for instance). However, I would print the mail merge output into separate files (for instance named by client number) and then use a specialized mail software to pick up the right files for the emails.

@stragu I get this far…

…but I never see a toolbar with “Send Email Messages” button. I don’t see errors. The Mail Merge dialog closes when I click Finish, but nothing else happens. I’m simply taken back to the Writer window. Any suggestions how to troubleshoot?

Print to files (one file per receipient) using a unique field for the file names.
Save the mail addresses with associated file names (=ID & “.pdf”) as a text file.
Then use a dedicated mail merge program, Thunderbird add-on, Google gimmick or whatever. LibreOffice is not good at this.

Sample document with 2 sheets for data and export:
66424.ods (17.4 KB)

1 Like

Thank you, but my problem wasn’t related to email merge attachments. I only needed to do a simple email merge. I thought the entire email merge feature wasn’t working for me. Anyway, I missed that after clicking Finish, a mail merge toolbar appeared with the “Send Email Messages” (text only appears in tooltip) button. My basic email merge worked just fine.

And now I see that you hijacked a 2 years old topic that started with

Please don’t do that.