How to copy and paste mutliple cells without changing formulae

I knew I could copy one cell without changing it using the technique described
here. But for multiple cells, it takes too long.

A way to do it for several cells in one go is :

• to select them and copy them into cllipboard (Ctrl +C)
  • to move them by drag and drop (holding down the left mouse button, going to the place where you want to copy them and release the button)
  • to click to the top left corner where the cells come from and paste the clipboard (Ctrl + V) in order to also have them at the original place

I wrote this post because I could not find any other way to do it with the paste special option. If this functionality is not available though, it would be so useful to get it implemented to avoid the workaround given above. Copying cells without changing their formulae happens so many times.

Anybody who knows a workaround to the method given below, please post I am interested in.

NB: Thanks a lot to all the group dedicated to make the libreoffice project so great and free.

In which way do your formulas change?

The formulae get “shifted” if I don’t proceed the way I described and do instead a basic copy/paste. For example for two cells containing =A1 and =B1,they will become =A3 =B3 respectively if pasted two lines below .
Of course this is the conventional and expected behavior that we need in some situations. But in others, we just want to keep the same formulae identical. Implementing a paste special option to be able to do so would be great.

Use absolute addresses $A$1and $B$1 instead.

2 Likes

Another workaround:

• Select the source range, Cut (Ctrl+X) and Undo (Ctrl+Z)
  • Click in the destination range and Paste (Ctrl+V)
2 Likes

This is what I was looking for! Just 3 keyboard strikes to copy without any change formulas of all the selected cells anywhere it is needed.
Great, thanks a lot!

Note that changing a cell address, A1, to an absolute address, $A$1, is just one keystroke, F4. A second F4 changes it to absolute row, a third F4 to absolute column

1 Like

This is a cool feature. Especially when combined with the copy & paste special and link option enabled. The 3 keystrokes you described get rid of all absolute addresses of the multiple cells selection in one go. This saves time when fill right or down actions need to be done without any constraint on their formulas.