How to format 2 lists independently from each other in LibreOffice Writer?

How can I create 2 lists with different styles in 1 document ?

Example: 1 ordered list with red ordinal numbers and 1 ordered list with green ordinal numbers ?

I try, but it doesn’t work for me. My problem is this:

1. I create two lists:

1. Then I select the ordinal numbers of one list:

1. but now, when I change the color, the color of the other list (although unselected) is changed automatically, too:

What I want is 1 red list and 1 green list.
How can I achieve that ?

The quick and easy way is to make 2 new Character Styles, 2 new List Styles, and 2 new Paragraph Styles.

Go to the Character Styles area of the Styles deck of the Sidebar.
Right click and select New. In the Organizer tab, name this style _Red. In the Font Effects tab, set the Font Color to Red. Click OK.

Do the same to create a Green Character Style.

Go to the List Styles area in the Sidebar. Right click on Numbering 123 and select New. Give this style the name _List Style Red. Go to the Customize tab. With Level 1 highlighted, change Character style to _Red (You will find this in the dropdown list). Click OK.

Do the same to create a Green List Style.

Go the the Paragraph Style area in the Sidebar. Right click on Text Body and select New. In the Organizer tab, Name this style _Text Body List Red. Go to the Outline & List tab. Change List style to _List Num Red (You will find this in the dropdown list). Click OK.

Do the same to create a Green list Paragraph Style.

With the cursor in your document, double click on _Text Body List Red in the Sidebar. Type your list.

With the cursor where you want it in the document, double click on _Text Body List Green in the Sidebar. Type your list.

Your done.

Of course, you can set other attributes in the dialogs of the various styles if you wish.

1 Like

Here is a quick explanation about @TXDon’s answer.

Just the same as a paragraph style logically defines the significance of the paragraph to which it is applied, a list style defines a semantic type of a list.

Among paragraphs, those styled Body Text are supposed to be about your discourse or argumentation and those Heading n structure the outline of your book.

Similarly, taking built-in list styles, Numbering 123 characterises all ordered lists with “usual” numbers while Numbering IVX is for uppercased Roman numbered lists. Bullet lists have their own list styles.

But if you consider that two 123-numbered lists have not the same significance and one could be changed independently from the other (say, switch to ABC-numbering, leaving the other “type” unchanged), then you need two different list styles, even if the visual effect is the same, to keep the semantic separation.

1 Like

@ajlittoz : thanks for your explanation. I’m trying to wrap my head around it.

I understand the purpose of character styles to style characters
and the purpose of list styles to style lists.
But why do I need both list styles AND paragraph styles to style a list ?

Many thanks for your help, @TXDon .
From my tests your method seems to work.
(Let me verify and mark your solution shortly.)

My questions are:

1. “Right click on Text Body and select New.” I couldn’t find “text body” but do have a “body text” paragraph style. I assume that’s the same?
  2. If this is the quick&easy fix, what other methods are there ?
  3. I understand why I need character styles and list styles for your method. But why do I need to define a paragraph style also ? (edit: excellently answered by @ajlittoz below)
  4. I have looked for months trying to solve this problem before I asked here, but was unable to find anything related to this in the documentation or support forums (let alone the program itself). Is your method documented somewhere? Could I have found it? It seems like a really basic functionality of a word processing software, yet it seems deeply buried in the program and undocumented. This is the kind of stuff that makes me desperate while trying to become proficient with LibreOffice Writer.

Because there are two competing “notions” in a list item.

First, a list item is a paragraph. Thus you use a paragraph style to give it its identity (spacing above and below, borders, text flow) and a default unnamed character style (font face, size, weight, colour, effects, …).

Second, you make it part of a “logical” list by applying a list style. However, things are not that simple because the list style takes control of the left side of the paragraph (in LTR script; the side wher the number/bullet appears).
Probably due to a bug, the right indent is also affected and modifying it in the paragraph style results in a mess.

The list style describes the left indent, first line indent and position of the number for every level of the list. Yes, every list style allows you to nest items up to 10 levels (list styles are the base tool for chapter numbering through a protected dedicated list style).

So, now why list style + paragraph style?

A list style style is mandatory to turn a paragraph into a list item. But there are two approaches to relate the list and paragraph styles.

• the first method is akin to direct formatting
    You manually apply the list style over any paragraph. Advantage: you can vary the look of the items inside the logical list. You can create an inhomogeneous list where items at the same level don’t look the same.
  • the second method guarantees homogeneity
    Here, you attach the list style to the paragraph style in the Outline & List tab. Advantage: you no longer need to apply manually the list style to the item. This is implicit from the paragraph style configuration.
    But this does not prevent you to achieve special effects. The same list style can be attached to various paragraph styles. This is how Heading n works to have a hierarchy of appearances in the different heading levels.
    You can imitate it but there is no automatic association of paragraph style to list level (this is an added feature in Heading n only) and you must press Tab at head ot item to promote it to the required level.
1 Like

@ajlittoz : thanks so much! my head hurts, but I think I understood the main thrust of your argument. I will read it several times, hoping that it will sink in with time. You are really a genius. :rocket: Glad that you are around.

I don’t want to attempt trying another method since this one is so easy. Also, it helps people learn the advantages of using styles and the Sidebar.

The paragraph styles link with the List Styles which link with the Character Styles. That way, all you need to do to use the list is to select the Paragraph Style. I usually keep the Paragraph Style area open in the Sidebar for easy access to style headings, different kinds of paragraphs, lists, block quotes, etc. You can even close most of the toolbars at the top so you’re not temped to use direct formatting. This will also provide more vertical space for your document.

If you use a Paragraph Style often, you can even set up a keyboard shortcut for it.

You can set up a custom template to make any custom styles you create available for new documents. That way, you don’t need to recreate them for each new document.

When I’m looking for an answer to a question, I look in the user guides first, then search the Help files. If I can’t find an answer there, I’ll search in my browser, ask questions here, or just experiment. Once I find a solution to a problem, I try to save others the trouble I went through. I’ve published a number of YouTube tutorials if you can find them; browser searches can often be problematic bringing up unrelated suggestions long before useful ones. I’ve also published courses on Udemy.

2 Likes