How to join two lines that meet at 45 degrees

I am trying to recreate a simple line drawing in a different color. The drawing has 45 degree angles, and the original angles come together in sharp points. I need my lines to have some thickness, as does the original, but I cannot get the angle to have sharp points.

I have tried using the Triangle shape, but it doesn’t work in this configuration. Can some one give me instruction on how to make this work please?

Thank you.

Reliably:

1. Draw a straight line at zero degrees by holding down Shift
  2. With it selected, copy and paste in the same place, Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V
  3. With the copy still selected click Format > Position and Size (F4)
  4. In the Rotation tab, click the corner around which you want to rotate the second line, then set the angle, 45 degrees, OK.
  5. Drag around both lines to select them and then click Shape > Connect (In Navigator, you will see “Polyline with 4 corners”)
  6. With the shape still selected, click Edit > Points (F8)
  7. Click on the corner point and press Delete to delete one of the corner points. Then click Edit > Points (F8) again to get out of Edit points mode
  8. Right-click the shape and select Line
  9. In the dialogue box, select the Line tab. Set Corner style to Mitred and the width to suitable width, say 0.4 cm. Click OK
    DrawAngle45DegreesMitredCorner

Cheers, Al

4 Likes

This is awesome Earnest, Thank you so much. I love learning new tricks with LibreOffice.

Have a great week.

1 Like

Of course we may expect another question by somebody who wants a similar thing but with an angle of 30° or with 3 lines each one double the length …
Some years ago I also had some tasks of the kind and considered the situation more generally. My result was that

1. Draw is neither a program for dynamic/interactive geometry (there are many for educational purposes e.g.) nor a 2D-CAD software.
  2. If Draw is to be used for specific reasons, and at the same time shapes are needed which are described as we know it from geometric construction tasks, we may remember some elements of trigonometry and analytic geometry. Then we can use Calc for the needed calculations, and a couple of short macros for the creation of the shapes. An example (single shape “Triskaidekaphilia”) of what I got:
  3. Today I refreshed a bit of the code and post it contained in an example document now “for connoisseurs”:
    incomparable.ods (37.6 KB) I will not write a manual.
1 Like

You could use 45° polyline as well.
To exactly positioning the first part you may press the shift key for 0°, when continuing have a look at the status bar. It’s easy, see screenshot.

3 Likes

No needed if the tool selected is Polygon (45°), as seen in the screenshot.