How to stop Calc pasting copied cells as images

This bug seems to have been reported in several variants but I can’t find an identical case to mine:

I’m using calc, and when copying cells it often (not always, seemingly randomly) pastes the cell as an image. I can’t imagine any circumstances where I would want that, and I have used spreadsheets for many decades since Lotus 1-2-3 and Visicalc. It hampers my use of Calc.

How do I stop it behaving like this?

I’m using Version: 6.3.3.2
Build ID: 1:6.3.3-0ubuntu0.19.10.1 on Ubuntu 19.10

I don’t have a clipboard manager.

thanks in advance
Stuart

Are you stating that CTRL+C and CTRL+V within Calc sometimes does insert the copied cell as image? Never faced that. What might be true is, that CTRL+C in Calc and CTRL-V in another application results in inserting an image and what exactly happens is part of your clipboard and and the receiving application. Use a text editor and you get text, use a graphics program, you’ll get (probably) an image, some other spreadsheet programs may accept the data and formats - Therefore the pasting isn’t what Calc controls.

Yes I am saying exactly that - it is within Calc that this is happening.

Does it do the same when you use menu Edit - Copy and menu Edit - Paste, instead of the keyboard shortcuts?

I just tried this and it tried to paste an old clipboard item from an earlier writer edit. rather than the copy I made.
I then tried the cntl/c cntl/v approach on a range of data in calc, and took a screen grab of the result. I would provide the grab if I could see how

The result was an image of the copied area I should have said.

Please do not use the Answer field for comments that are not an answer to the original question, use add a comment instead, or edit your original question to provide further details. Thanks.

I have the same copy/paste problem. Open Calc, first copy and paste works fine. Next copy and paste operation pastes an image of the previous copy operation. If I run GnuCash at the same time as having Calc open then I get balancing (unwanted) lines to an entry that I do want. If I close down Calc then GnuCash behaves as expected. I’m on:-

Version: 6.3.4.2
Build ID: 1:6.3.4-0ubuntu0.19.10.1
CPU threads: 6; OS: Linux 5.3; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3;
Locale: en-GB (en_GB.UTF-8); UI-Language: en-GB
Calc: threaded

This is a major disruption to using Calc.

Wild guess: you are using a clipboard “manager” (aka destroyer) that interferes with the clipboard and can’t cope with the various clipboard mime types offered by the application, specifically not the internal ones. Disable it.

Update 2020-03-24T22:11+01:00

See answer there.

@erAck: from the Q:

I don’t have a clipboard manager.

:wink:

I doubt that :stuck_out_tongue:

Hell, it’s Ubuntu…

Using Manjaro with Gnome DE. Exact same problem. It takes 2 copy and paste for the things to stick as formulas (after the 1st one) . You then copy another cell and paste and get an image of the first paste. Rinse repeat. Really bad when you try to cut and paste, as then when you go back to original it is gone. Had it crash trying to undo and lost my cut.

The second time I copy and paste the same thing it will generally work. Its not too bad a work around, but it is anoying.

And it has a clipboard manager… Ubuntu 19.10 comes with Mutter 3.34 as compositor that has a new clipboard manager included. Likely the Manjaro mentioned here as well. See tdf#128803.

I am encountering the same problem (on Ubuntu 19.10). This is extremely frustrating as it makes copying and pasting almost unworkable. I copy a second (or any subsequent) set cells and then go to paste them elsewhere, but instead Calc treats it as an OLE object with the cells from the previous copy. The only solution is to Undo (Ctrl-Z), Copy again and then Paste and this time it works. (I am just using LibreOffice Calc so no two products involved.

Same here on ubuntu 19.10, has someone found a solution?

I had the same problem in calc and draw. Disabling the “clipboard indicator” extension in Gnome made the problem go away :slight_smile: