I want to recover my old password

LO is a free and open source project. There is no central authority responsible for controlling its usage. Consequently there is no help desk capable to “reset your password”.

LO is a personal tool, meaning configuration is in your hands. Decision to enable PGP key protection is yours. And LO insisted on privacy outside any government or private company (freedom). It selected PGP which is known for its strong crypto properties. What worth would it be if a simple manipulation could work around its protection?

Note you still didn’t answer basic questions: OS name (because PGP configuration and capabilities vary with OS), filename extension (because there could be approaches more adapted to such and such type).

All questions insofar try to discover what (involuntary) mistake you could have make to revert its effect.

Last point: we are not TDF employees, only users like yourself. Note that without seeing your screen, it is very difficult to guess the cause of your problem considering the scarcity of clues you’ve given. My personal crystal ball is presently back at the wizard shop for maintenance.

1 Like

In a normal situation, the password would give me access to LibreOffice. I have hundreds of LO files; I’ve used LibreOffice since Alexander The Great was knee high to a pup. Now, for some password-related reason, I can’t use LO. It may not matter much to you, but I’m NOT a happy camper.

Over…

Can you report the exact wording? “Bad old password” suggests the app (LO really?) recognises a password formerly used but perhaps expired. The exact wording could help to isolate the offending function.
Describe exactly when it appears. Do you need to enter the password for each file you want to access once you’re in LO? Is it a key to “unlock” access to some directory?

1 Like

Or is it a special password safe program or an antivirus program with such capabilities?

You don’t need a password to download LibreOffice.
Installing LibreOffice in Windows 10 (as your tag said) may need an admin password, but later use doesn’t.
You may need a password to log into Win10, but not to start LibreOffice.
Conclusion: Your question for a password to “give me access to LibreOffice” is based on false assumpions. Therefore several people tried to get a better description of where/when/why you are asked for a password.
The normal “situation” is YOU are the admin or a user on a personal computer. The admin should know wich software is installed from where. So this person may help to get access to something on your system. At the moment you are asking “Where are my keys?” to people who may have build the house.

1 Like
  1. Exact wording “Bad old password”

2. I need to enter the password in order to activate LibreOffice. Otherwise, my .odt and .ods files (hundreds of more or less important files) are useless. Whoa is me. :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

“You don’t need a password to download LibreOffice”

Correct: But in order to open it, the bot requires me to fill in the blanks: See below.

What’s “it”?
What executable did you actually start/open?

• An already installed soffice.exe?
  • The just (or earlier) downloaded installer (.msi under Win)?
  • Something else?
  • None at all, but a linked URL?

Did you ever try to start soffice.exe directly from the programs folder of your Win (“C:\Program Files\LibreOffice\program\” or similar)?
Concerning the comment above only presenting an image:
What happens if you click the area showing “Go to portal”? Is that area linked? Where do you get to?
Trying to start LibreOffice, you shouldn’t get such a thing displayed. Is it “web” or “Windows”? The first dialog opened by the installer also looks completely different. I think you tried to log in to a developer site of the DocumentFoundation. Did you ever have an account there?

1. My data processing guru tells me that my operating system is Microsoft Windows 10.

2. My version of LO in my download tray is LibreOffice 7.5.2_win_x86-64.msi

3. I have hundreds of .ods and .odt files plus some PDFs, one .epub, one .docx, a .bmp, a .xlsx, a .csv, a couple of .mp4s and an Adobe Acrobat - 745 files in all.

4. Am I “…trying to recover some document you have protected with a password or access some database server?” No, I’m to open my version of LO (See #2 above)

:confused:

I’m trying to open the version of LO that is in my download tray (LibreOffice 7.5.2_win_x86-64.msi.)

@Dubina1, that’s the website. You don’t need to be able to access the LibreOffice website in order to use LibreOffice on your computer.

There are 3 things you could be referring to:

1. A document password (if you protected a document with a password)
  2. The master password for LibreOffice (shown in a dialog window when it launches). In this case, Reset master password in Libreoffice - FOSS Office en might help.
  3. Alternatively, your auth.documentfoundation.org password, which is used to access user.documentfoundation.org and ask.libreoffice.org.

It appears to be, based upon I want to recover my old password - #15 by Dubina1, that the 3rd option is correct. In this case, don’t log out of ask.libreoffice.org nor clear your browser cookie cache, because that would revoke your authentication to ask.libreoffice.org.

Considering I want to recover my old password - #16 by Dubina1, why is the reset password form not enough to resolve this matter?

1 Like

As said above. No password required by LibreOffice.
Just to make sure you used the right destination, I’d suggest you diwload the file again from LibreOffice.org:
Download LibreOffice | LibreOffice - Free Office Suite - Based on OpenOffice - Compatible with Microsoft
After download a double-click on the msi should install LibreOffice again and for this you might need your admin-password for Windows.
One remaining question would be: As you already have LibreOffice-Files, you already should have an installed LibreOffice availabe in your StartMenu. Was this de-installed or removed?
If this would be available, there is no need to tinker with the .msi and a new install.

1 Like

Just in case: At first, keep a backup of your files.
Alternative methods to access your files:

• There is a version of LibreOffice by Portable Apps, wich runs independent from your tdf-install.
  • OpenOffice can read the same files as LibreOffice, and runs independent fro LibreOffice.
  • Several other Office-suites can read odf-files, somtimes with problems, but they are readable. This includes MS-Office.

Does “tray” mean the default folder for your downloads?
The file you named is the installer.. (The default location of the installed program under Win 10 I already posted above.) If a direct call to the installer results in getting displayed the image you posted above, I have to give up. I installed very many versions of LibreOffice, because I tried to also have very fresh ones at hand to help a bit with bug hunting. Don’t know that screen.
And once again: I don’t know a thing like what you want to call “the bot”. The installer for LibO is by default processed as any .msi file provided by any distributor of software by a Windows program named msiexec.exe.

According to Google not many things use the phrase “Bad old password”. Ubiquiti seems to be one, maybe the .msi didn’t download fully and OS is trying to reconnect to web site to continue download but Ubiquiti WiFi needs a new password for you to access the portal to your network (and internet).

If you have Ubiquiti issue then look at their help or ask at their site.

Does “tray” mean the default folder for your downloads?
YES

The file you named is the installer.. (The default location of the installed program under Win 10 I already posted above.) If a direct call to the installer results in getting displayed the image you posted above, I have to give up.

“If a direct call to the installer…” means (I tried to open it), well, yes, I tried to open it. But I won’t give up because I have too many LO .ods and odt files that I created / edited in the past - and I need many of them in order to continue my work.

I installed very many versions of LibreOffice, because I tried to also have very fresh ones at hand to help a bit with bug hunting. Don’t know that screen.

By now, I am all too well acquainted. :disappointed_relieved:

And once again: I don’t know a thing like what you want to call “the bot”. The installer for LibO is by default processed as any .msi file provided by any distributor of software by a Windows program named msiexec.exe.

Is my “bot” your LO installer? If so, so what? In that case, what next?

@ EarnestAI Nope, no Ubiquiti here :confused:

I can’t answer directly to this question, because both the question, and the context, that have grown in this thread, were confusing from the start, and got too confusing to this moment. But I can tell you how to restart from scratch.

Do something like this:

1. Start with clear and unambiguous description of the problem.

“When I double-click on “LibreOffice 7.5.2_win_x86-64.msi”, I see a prompt for a password. I try my old recorded password, but the message is, “Bad old password”. Here is a screenshot of my “LibreOffice 7.5.2_win_x86-64.msi”: [screenshot here]; here is the prompt for password shown when I double-click it: [screenshot from #16]; here is what it shows after I enter my recorded password: [screenshot from #15].”

Note that the missing screenshot of your “LibreOffice 7.5.2_win_x86-64.msi” would immensely help others. It could possibly show its size, the icon, and maybe allow immediately diagnose something. Note also, that the screenshots that you did provide, were cut to not show the actual website address; if you provided the browser address string, it could possibly also help understand where does your double-click send you, and maybe get an idea how it could happen initially.

1. Describe how it began.

“The problem started after I replaced my old computer and decided to install LibreOffice, as I had installed on my old box / after my old LibreOffice suggested me to upgrade and I tried that / after whatever else happened…”

After these things, you can optionally add stuff that you believe could help others help you, but please abstain from anything (including jokes) that do not help others help you. They just make fellow users, who have energy to read other users’ problems, and try to help, to have hard time trying to pass through debris in pursuit for information.

1. If your screenshots and description didn’t help others, they will possibly ask you for clarifications, which you need to provide with the same simplicity and clarity.

E.g., if you were asked “from where did you downloaded the LibreOffice 7.5.2_win_x86-64.msi”, you should provide the address and screenshots of the web page that you used to download; and best if you also tell which buttons you pressed on the page. (My suspicion is that you didn’t properly download anything, but instead, dragged a link to your downloads folder, which started all your problems; and the suggestion to re-download, that @Wanderer gave in #21, would help.)

And note how #15 does not block you - it suggests you to “Go to portal”.

Possibly the instructions for you to follow at this point would be:

1. Click on the following link to download the installer again:

https://download.documentfoundation.org/libreoffice/stable/7.5.2/win/x86_64/LibreOffice_7.5.2_Win_x86-64.msi

This is not expected to show you any password pages, just download a file named LibreOffice_7.5.2_Win_x86-64.msi to your download folder. Its size is 342 MB, and is should look like this:

If you already have LibreOffice_7.5.2_Win_x86-64.msi in that folder, then the newly downloaded file can get a name like LibreOffice_7.5.2_Win_x86-64 (1).msi.

1. Double-click on that downloaded file.

This is not expected to show you any password web pages (but at some point, can ask you to allow installation using admin credentials, as noted by others), but should start installation procedure, as described here. The first installer screens should look similar to this:

1. After your installation succeeds, LibreOffice icon should appear on your desktop, and in the Start menu:

These items must start LibreOffice, again, without any password prompt.

If at any point in the steps 1-3, you get a password prompt like what you have shown in your screenshots, this would mean that something is really broken on your Windows system. A screencast (a video recording of your actions) could help in that case.

1. Then you can get back to this site’s password update. I believe that @cloph can assist you on resetting the forgotten password. But that is absolutely unrelated to the LibreOffice program, that must simply work.
1 Like

Kindly cease and desist; LibreOffice 7.5.2 yada yada is now installed and operational on my PC.

Earlier today, I had a keyboard problem - when I typed a single character, nothing happened. Then, I tried plugging my keyboard into all three of my USB ports to no avail. Now, for some unknown reason, my keyboard is operational, (as you see here).

FYI, maybe an hour ago, when I double clicked the LO execute file, the LO installer worked without giving me the Old Password / Create a new Password runaround. Be advised that was not the case earlier today.

In conclusion, thanks for your time, patience and advice, and please accept my apology for my snarky comments and observations. Be assured I will mind my manners if and when I visit this site again.

Dubina1

1 Like