Inter-document cross-referencing to target numbering instead of target text

Writer 7.6 for Linux
working with .ott, .odt, later on the master-document

Document (or a set of such) have numbered: headings, table captions, diagram captions.
When I put a cross-reference to refer to some spot in same document I always use Insert Cross-reference… > the tab Cross-reference > Table, or Headings, or custom type for graphics as Type and Number as Refer using. If to do same exercise for two sub-documents (master still not in use) and needed reference spots been created in past it appears to be impossible to use numbering of target spot as cross-reference text.
Is myself right with this finding?

• Existing intra-document cross-references, an example:
    For more details see table 1.2
    where “1.2” is the cross-reference
  • Cross-referring to reference created in other document, example:
    For more details see table Family income annually
    “Family income annually” is the cross-reference

You can see in second case the final text became a long string, its readability got worse.

If really not possible for inter-document cross-reference to show the target’s numbering to reader this document runs onto the problem of inconsistency. Unless, this document author decides to change existing intra-document cross-references to refer to targets’ text. This is also bad because this way the whole text becomes less readable.

1 Like

I will try my luck in following way.

For cross-reference in any sub-document let’s navigate to end of that paragraph which one wants to refer to.
Insert a field with cross-reference to (i) Heading, (ii) the Number of the same paragraph.
Now one can set a reference at this field.
Place hidden attribute of character formatting on this field.
As procedure final step one can place a cross-reference to this reference point.

It won’t work. Cross-references do not work when exported to PDF (what my document will for sure do) due to 160381 – Bug: сross-references do not work when exporting *.odt to *.pdf under certain conditions.

Workaround need modification

• For cross-reference in any sub-document let’s navigate to end of that paragraph which one wants to refer to - in the particular case here these all are numbered headings.
  • Insert a field with cross-reference to (i) Heading, (ii) the Number of the same paragraph. Prepend the field with (in plain-text) reference target category terminated by one space character to omit Writer bug 160381
  • Now one can set a reference at this field.
  • Place hidden attribute of character formatting on this field.
  • As procedure final step one can place a cross-reference to this reference point.