Is it possible to add a 340k-word custom dictionary?

Why didn’t I expect that to happen…

I’m trying to improve my LibreOffice spellcheck capabilities by adding a custom 340k-word dictionary. After days of work and research, I was able to get my hands on a huge, beautiful, and properly formatted wordlist with all official terms in my mother language, made by our official language-related institution. It would be extremely useful for me if I could use that to improve LibreOffice spellcheck capabilities. I’ve also installed the LanguageTools add-on, it seems to have a decent grammar check system as well.

I’ve followed all steps I could find to properly add a large custom dictionary:

1. Creating a custom dictionary and adding a word to it, so a properly formatted “.dic” file would be created
  2. Located the wordbook folder in “…AppData\Roaming\LibreOffice\4\user\wordbook”,
  3. Added the wordlist in proper formatting (eg: apple==noun)

The result was a 340,300 lines, 6.2mb file. I am able to select it on LibreOffice, but as soon as I either click “Edit”, or restart the software, it immediately “freezes”. CPU usage goes up to around 25% (or 100% of a single core), and will stay that way until I kill it with Task Manager. Tried waiting for around 2 hours but it was still in that state.

If there’s another way of making this work, could anyone kindly help me achieve that? I’d be extremely grateful.

Thanks in advance!

Could you post here an example of, say, the first dozen lines in your custom *.dic (including the header information at the very top of the .dic. which should read something like the form:

OOoUserDict1
lang: <none>
type: positive
---

I don’t understand why you are making entries like apple==noun in your dic. As far as I know that line should just read apple and that is all. Are you trying to accommodate the LanguageTool in some way by doing that? (I have no experience of LanguageTool so I’m asking out of curiosity, not because I might know something you don’t.)

In the meantime read this and see if it helps: https://ask.libreoffice.org/t/adding-dic-files/69718

Hey there, thank you so much for your suggestion.

The “==” appears in the .dic file when you manually add a word, there’s the “Grammar By” field which (I think) is supposed to add any additional information on the word you will type in the “Word” field. The end result is (word)==(secondary info), like “apple==noun”. However, if you don’t add any info, it will appear just like you mentioned.

Out of curiosity, I tried that, and I guess it works now! Maybe that list was already huge for me to keep adding even more stuff. That by itself is amazing, I’m sincerely thankful for your suggestion.

However, it’s not perfect yet. Every time I open Writer or Calc, it will “freeze” (CPU core usage goes 100%) for about 30 seconds the moment I start typing. I guess LO is processing all that information during this time to use the spell checker. Then, it will eventually come back and it won’t freeze again until I open another instance of it. I guess I can live with that, as I need it for work, but I’ll try something else first;

I found a way to edit the language module .dic file, in other words, the “official” LO dictionary. I’ll see if I can add my words there and exclude duplicates.