Is LibreOffice an online application?

I beg to differ here. From experience, AVG appears to change permissions on files (not folders) and act as gatekeeper so only Allowed programs can edit existing files.

A program not in the Allowed list can Save As to a folder but cannot write to the file again so a subsequent Save, even in the same session, brings an error along these lines:
Error saving the document (…) :
Object not accessible.
The object cannot be accessed due to insufficient user rights.

If the error is ignored nothing further will be written to the file. This seems to match the description by @quantum88 : a blank file written to disk, & “I can’t even open the earlier version of my excel document in the older version!! It opens a BLANK document”.

Because the permissions are written in the operating system, even if AVG is turned off the files still cannot be written to. This is also problematic on a shared network.

Your “Support” forum BLOCKED me last night from posting saying that as a new member I’m posting too much (!?) while I was in a middle of resolving an URGENT issue, and told me to come back after 22 hrs.

Seriously??.. This forum is as bad as your Libre program, which as far as I’m concerned is still in BETA full of issues and bugs.

I don’t know if and when you will get this message, but all I want to tell you (all contributors to this conversation) that EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOU WAS WRONG.

I have now resolved the issue.

It had NOTHING to do with the user rights, or the firewall, or my “lack of computer skills”, or the corruption of any program on my computer, or my internet security program, or my antivirus, or pasting objects, or a shared network, or ANY of the things pointed to in this conversation by its contributors – some of whom consider themselves to be experts on Libre.

Your good intention to help (thanks!) doesn’t change the fact that you simply don’t know this program in terms of its compatibility with MS Excel - because THAT was the issue which no one has even mentioned.

You were all looking for the complex causes in my computer and my programs - while the issue was with Libre. Not even a one off glitch or a bug, but its SYSTEMIC BUILT IN conflict with Excel which makes is INCOMPATIBLE with it and should carry a warning for those who seek to transition back and forth between these programs.

The issue was very simple, not complex, and my Excel program was finally able to REPAIR the damage done by your beta Libre to my files.

I have wasted A LOT OF MY TIME – several hours - on sorting out this damage while in a middle of an urgent project, and I’m absolutely appalled by this forum arbitrarily BLOCKING me with no intelligence to recognise the urgency and importance of this conversation, which by my standards is beyond unacceptable.

My only fault was to download this dangerous beta program. I did have some warning signs, like issues posted 2 years ago on your improvement hub which to this date have not been fixed, which unfortunately I have ignored. NEVER AGAIN.

LIbreOffice IS in BETA. Perhaps in a perpetual BETA given that this version was released few years ago. Do not hide it, do not disguise it. Yes, it is free to use, maybe that’s part of the problem.

In just a few days of using two of the apps I already came across a number of issues which are frustrating but small and very easy to fix. Someone said on another topic that “Libre is an evolving program”. Evolving means improving from good to better. It does not mean released with many issues and bugs, not fully tested, and leaving it to the users to find and report them.

I will be sharing my experience with anyone I know who are even contemplating using this program transitioning from excel to warn them about the consequences.

goodbye

@mikekaganski @EarnestAl
please see my final reply above.

This forum allows me to list no more than 2 users (???) in a post.

@ajlittoz
please see my final reply above.

this is the most user unfriendly forum I have ever seen. Blocks the new users, limits the number of names in their posts. Unbelievable.

Lol.

goodbye, and try to build reasonable expectations.