Is LibreOffice an online application?

This may be a strange question, but…I downloaded LibreOffice as I understood it is a FULLY downloaded and saved to computer program. NOT ONLINE somewhere in the cloud.

If that’s the case - why my three spreadsheets created in LibreOffice and open on my computer are showing in my Task Manager as an ONLINE APP using 160 MB of my computer’s memory?

if this IS an online program and all documents created are saved online or remain linked to the online server - why is this not explicitly stated in all the program descriptions?

I NEVER save or store ANYTHING online in the cloud. Nothing. Never.

could someone please advise.

If you expect help or explanation, provide minimal factual details: OS name, LO version and, most important, where you downloaded from and exactly which LO (exact name, eventual caveats given on the download page, …). An indication about which installation options you chose might also help.

Please show what does this mean. A screenshot with this would be most welcome.

I will - but now I am panicking because when I wanted to save my 3 spreadsheets saved to Libre and worked in for the past 3 days back as .xlsx - and… It does NOT save! the workbook is BLANK!

what is going on??

again, in the program description which I studied for few days before deciding whether to download it - it said very clearly that all documents CAN be saved back to other spreadsheet formats.

is this a trap??

My question is very simple - is LIbreOffice an ONLINE application or does it fully download and save to computer? this doesn’t require any diagnostics - the answer can only be either or.

Then if your question is purely theoretical (not asking how to recover from your present situation), yes, LO is a local application, fully installed on your computer and saving files where you tell it to.

BUT this assumes you downloaded an official version and not a derived one for cloud service (hence the importance of my questions).

no my question is not purely theoretical.
I downloaded it from

version 7.2.7
for windows 10, 64 bit

but now my MAIN question is - why can’t I save back my spreadsheets to .xlsx???

Task Manager>Processes
CPU - Memory - Disk - Network GPU

my open Libre spreadsheets are listed there, using 160 MB of Memory. I have now closed them all so can’t take a screenshot.

Task Manager doesn’t show applications fully saved to a computer hard drive.

Usually, these “errors” come from insufficient user rights on the target directory. Double-check in the save dialog where your files are tentatively saved. If this was your first trial after installation (or the file was opened in “non-standard” ways – define this term in Windows context, M$ has sometimes strange contorted ways to lock you in its own eco-system), it may happen that the current working directory points on “system” or “library” ones where a common user has no write rights.

what do you mean by that? I do have all the user rights in all directories. Please be more specific.

again, I have no clue what this means. I don’t use libraries, MS doesn’t “lock me in” anywhere. I have all write rights everywhere on my computer.

I need to save those files back to my old format after which I will delete Libre Office as clearly it is an online application - and I did download it from the OFFICIAL site - didn’t I?

@ajlittoz @mikekaganski

and Now - I can’t even open the earlier version of my excel document in the older version!! It opens a BLACK document!!!

what the heck is going on?? how am I supposed to recover it??? HELP!!!

this program is a trap.

I meant * BLANK*

I don’t think so. Some system directories remain excluded from “usual” user rights and require administrator rights (this is to avoid errors lethal to the computer). I can’t be more specific unless you tell us into which directory the save dialog tries to store your file. If you can’t tell, provide a screen shot of the dialog.

Perhaps not explicitly, but all apps need libraries. Since libraries are critical, they are usually protected by restricted rights so that nothing can be stored inside so that they are not damaged accidentally.

Not at all, LO is a local app. You may have a contrary impression but I would question your skill with computers. Installing an app is not a trivial task, notably under Windows. Experience (and many questions here) has shown that restarting a Windows PC usually cures many post-install problems. By “restarting”, I mean a true cold start, not the common suspend state disguised under a deceiving name in the start menu.

Do yo mean they are presently saved as .ods? If everything else fails, open them directly in Excel as it claims to be able to do it. But, as always, compatibility is not guaranteed 100%. So check the result.

Older version of Excel or Calc? Or is it the older version of the document (as an .ods or .xslx file)?

These symptoms feel like a corruption of the OS-dictionary associating the file extension to the managing association. If your files have no confidential nature, attach a problematic one so that we can see if we have the same problems here.

You might need to allow an exception in Windows Defender which is probably blocking LibreOffice from writing to the folder, see Defender Controlled folder access exception for LibreOffice - The Document Foundation Wiki

The relevant part of the Microsoft Knowledge Base article referred to in link above is Customize controlled folder access | Microsoft Docs

1 Like

Task manager shows every running task. Of course it shows applications fully saved to a computer hard drive.

You seem to do things erratically, with some strange assumptions. I cannot clearly understand what you did (including the “I have now closed them all so can’t take a screenshot” - did you use task manager to “close” the process, which is terminating it ungracefully?).

Note that I use Windows ~exclusively, and I have no problems with that - after I fixed the Windows Defender not allowing to save (for which I even created a FAQ). So I assure that it works.

@ajlittoz @mikekaganski

I actually have pretty good computer skills.

I had 3 files saved as .ods

Luckily, all the work I did was on just one tab in two of them. And - I was able to open them in my .xlsx format, copy the new content from .ode and paste it my .xlsx. So that’s done - I can now delete those .ods files.

So the remaining issue is with the third file which happens to be the most important so I MUST be able to open it in .xlsx

The question is:

How come I can open 2 of them in .xlsx but not the 3rd one?

All the .ods files were saved exactly where I wanted to save them - on my D Drive (datadrive) in their respective folders. My files ARE personal and confidential so no, there is no way in the world I could attach them anywhere.

My Windows Defender is disabled. I use another firewall program.

LIbreOffice is not blocked to write in anywhere. I can still edit those files. I didn’t close anything in Task Manager.

My ONLY urgent issue now is to be able to open my 3rd excel document in .xlsx

I can’t open even the much earlier versions of this document saved on my drive under different names… Why??

@EarnestAl

I don’t use Windows Defender but another program.

The firewall is not the issue here.

Now re-reading the phrase, I suppose that you meant that you worked on spreadsheets in ODS format, and now that you try to export to XLSX, it gives an empty XLSX. But I hope that you still have your ODS intact, right?

Bugs happen. It may well be that you somehow hit some bug, preventing your file form export. You write:

You behave as someone had promised you something, and is now cheating. No, there were no promises that there are no errors at all. Saving to external formats shows a dialog with a warning. Of course, a clean spreadsheet is a bug - but still not something dishonest, only something that needs to be filed as a bug to be fixed.

which is most unfortunate, since unless you provide a sample to reproduce, there’s no way in the world anything could be fixed… maybe you could sanitize the ODS?

In the meantime, you could try to save as XLS.

Some anti virus programs, such as AVG or Avast, allow a program to write a file once to the folder but then block all further edit attempts to existing files unless the program is in the Allowed list in the Anti-ransomware settings. How to use the Blocked & Allowed apps settings | AVG

You might not use AVG but then you must check the settings for the anti-virus program you have.

Note that “firewalls” are unrelated: LibreOffice does not need to access Internet. The advices from @EarnestAl are about antivirus software, that may block local disk access. Indeed, cleaning your messages from emotional stuff and assumptions, it looks like antivirus is not an issue, but still I write this to help avoid a misconception that had started this thread.