Is there a way to create a non-alphabetic index?

I want to create an index of Biblical references. A Biblical index is clearly not one of the options available in LibreOffice, but perhaps someone has written a plugin? If not, can I specify that I want the Index to include these entries in this order?

Update, April 2018.
Apologies for not being clear; and I didn’t know I had posted as “wiki” - not deliberate, just not familiar with how to drive this thing.

I am writing a book using Writer, and wish to include an index of Biblical references when it is distributed as a PDF for feedback and proof-reading, and also for readers to use when finally distributed. I don’t have any need myself of a list of Bible verses I have referenced.

I had assumed there would be some way to specify both the index entries and the order in which they appear.

Ideally the index would look something like:

Genesis
       Genesis 1:7                                 24, 59
       Genesis 3:4                                 68
       Genesis 16:9                                15, 16, 27-33, 81
Exodus
       Exodus 17:3                                 41...

I re-worded the question and received an answer which seems to be as good as can be achieved at present, but if anyone has a better answer I would be grateful to hear it. You can find the mostly-answered question here:

Custom indexes are available but may not fit your needs. Please edit your question to show an example of what you want.

BTW, you shouldn’t have posted as “wiki”.

No, but I do have a sheet that you can copy verses to, it will let you know if you already have that verse on that sheet, then it will sort them out, BUT first Books with #'s then alphabetically. I have not yet put a file here, but will to try if you would like a copy.

Is your index the end result of your work? Meaning it will be printed (becoming static) and used as a reference for finding data inside the document. From your comment, it looks like it is a (dynamic) tool while you are working/studying.

Depending on your purpose, Writer may not be the best tool.

I do not know how others link their files! Not real sure this will work. I do not understand your questions above, only familiar with Calc. Yes, is a tool while I work and study.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_s6CHB0fyz-M31W-F6gO6bxmMjRc5bZl/view?usp=sharing

If I catch the general idea, you should split text in columm L of ‘Daily Verses’ sheet into several columns: L containing only book abbrev., M with chapter, N with verse, O with KJV(?) and P with text. Then you can apply any sort strategy you like. Similarly for column I in ‘Sort vs’ sheet.

Alternatively, have you looked for dedicated study Bible software? Under my Linux distro, I found packages for bibletime and xiphos (based on sword). Those are supposed to be multiplatform.

What I thought would be similar to what you wanted is only “Sort vs”. No Password so you can work with it. Column “i” is only unlock column, I paste from blueletterbible.org to “i”. Then sort. Try to Copy a verse from column, past to bottom, it will show a red x. That was my goal! when you have entered many verses, you can sort, but sort only by highlighting i2 downward.

Daily Verse brings up to top in gold cell, a verse for the day and my personal short comment. 1-31 days, Scroll down. Changes each day of the month. Then the Gold cell goes to a tab or sheet I did not send, to a sheet I keep record of daily reading which is the main sheet I daily look at. I can send it, but, there was a lot to look at! Odd, I like to play with spreed sheets and Read my Bible.

The problem was column I is it contains both the sort key and record data (verse text). Worse your sort key has variable length (because of the numbers and maybe book abbrevs). Because it is considered text, it will be sorted alphabetically even the “numbers”, resulting in wrong order (10:3 before 2:5). This is why I suggested to split the key to better control sort.

Once again, edit your question to better formulate your problem. I don’t see the relation between this spreadsheet, an index in Writer and your workflow.