Is this a bug? Unprotected Cell turns protected after pasting in text from a web page

Version: 24.2.5.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: bffef4ea93e59bebbeaf7f431bb02b1a39ee8a59
CPU threads: 12; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 19045; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: en-US (en_US); UI: en-US
Calc: CL threaded

Example sheet attached.
Is this more than just “Undesired Behavior” from Calc?

If I’m working in a protected sheet (Example attached) with some unprotected cells, and I paste in just some random text from a random web page, the cell becomes protected and can no longer be edited or changed unless you unprotect the sheet.

This for me is highly undesired behavior. I’m sharing worksheets with other users that have password protection so that they can’t accidentally mess up the sheet, but they are sabotaging themselves by the simple act of pasting in text or numbers from websites -which should be harmless – yet it ends up destroying the sheet’s usefulness when it ceases to be editable in places where it should.

I am well aware that one can choose to paste/Unformatted, but the vast majority of my users do not understand this concept, and training all of them to do this is burdensome and frankly shouldn’t be necessary, because why is Calc changing cell protection after pasting plain text?

Is this a bug? In what case would this behavior be wanted?

Unprotected to Protected.ods (9.6 KB)

after a quick read of Bug List
seems not formally declared as such (yet :wink: )

The description given in tdf#48672 looks kind of similar.

2 Likes

Please don’t take my question as offence: I’m really curious, why do you ask your “Is this a bug?” question here. I could understand a question like “how to workaround this?”, or “is there a configuration to disable that?”, but your question is puzzling. You see something that prevents your use case. You would like the program to change its behavior. Either this is a bug; or there is a feature to change the behavior; or there should appear such a feature to make your use case possible. Only the second case of the three is for this site; the two others are both for the Bugzilla - both feature requests, and bugs.

Asking because I always look for ways to incentivize users to file bugs without hesitation, without wasting their efforts finding duplicates, or asking permissions (because I know, that some projects have a stupid idea that users must do much legwork before filing bugs). E.g., in this case, you didn’t file a bug report; it didn’t get marked as a duplicate of tdf#48762 (by the way, @cwolan made a typo, when for some reason creating a link with a name and a URL, instead of just typing plain tdf#48762 to let the site to create a link automatically); and so, that bug report didn’t increase its importance.

No offense taken - I really wanted to know if this is legitimately wanted behavior for anyone.
And now that I see the bug report found by @CWolan, it’s mind-boggling that this bug has existed for 12 years without being fixed.

With that, I will update the bug report with, perhaps, all caps. Maybe someone will pay attention.

All caps doesn’t get prospective volunteer developers onside.

The minimum is to add yourself to the CC list as the count shows interest in the bug.

If you add a comment, make sure it adds something new, such as the difficulty your users experience if they prevent themselves from altering an unprotected cell by pasting html text into an unprotected cell in a password protected sheet

1 Like

Note that that bug report had not a single duplicate over these 12 years. There was only a single person CCing themself to the bug (besides the two our community members: Timur and Ilmari). This definitely doesn’t give this issue any smell of importance; and with thousands of open bugs, with sore shortage of developing hands, it isn’t likely that it would get any attention.

Also notice, that all caps make developers only dislike the user who demands from their volunteer effort. Sometimes such all caps are the reason why a developer decides to skip this issue, and try to fix the next one.

some call it “steps” : First steps to take before submitting a bug - The Document Foundation Wiki :wink:

if you feel like turning it into brainstorming, you can start with a fresh example here :