Italics turn themselves on with new paragraph

Hi.
Ubuntu 22.04, LibreOffice Writer.
When creating a new paragraph the italics turn themselves on without being asked, not always, but very often, and very annoyingly. I can simply turn them off, but when this happens and I test it by going back to the previous paragraph and then forward again it will always go italics. It can really mess with concentration.

I found a similar problem here:

but other than the advise to file a bug report I don’t find a solution in the thread.

Note: I’m not talking about copying the text anywhere or changing format. It just happens randomly while typing and going for a new paragraph (and it’s only when going for a new paragraph).

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

LO version? (7.4.0.x?)
If working on Ubuntu you easily could install another version in parallel. Same problems then?

1 Like

What is your routine with Writer? Direct formatting or styles? What is your save format? .odt (native) or .doc(x)?
Also does this occur when you type a /? In which case you should look at Tools>AutoCorrect<AutoCorrect Options, Options tab.

1 Like

Hi, LO version is 7.3, sorry, forgot to mention.
That’s an idea, I’ll try, I’ll get back to you, will be offline for a couple hours.
Cheers

Hi, direct and .odt
It does not, and everything looks in order.
It feels buggy.

Can you characterise the circumstances under which this occurs?

Every paragraph has a Paragraph style, whether you chose it consciously or simply thought to do something like´"fill some text into a sheet of paper (IT variant)".
Every Paragraph style has a propperty Next style, and the style named there will be in force as soon as you Enter a paragraph break.

Please use the stylist (F11) to see what style originally was applied, rightclick on its name, choose Modify, and open the tab Organizer. What do you find there under Next style?
If you find there a different name (as compared with the one you started with), exit the Modify dialog, and start it anew for the other paragraph style. I would suppose under the tab Font you find there an Italic type.

If the Next style is the same as the original one, we have a miracle, and will -at least- need an example document of your production attached to your question by editing to get further.

1 Like