Unwanted italics

The current version of Writer inserts unwanted italics in the text at places I have not selected them. The effect is random paragraphs that are in italics.

I never noticed such a behaviour with LO 3.5.5 under Windows or Linux. Please specify exact LO version and exact OS. Would it be possible to provide a document for download that shows that effect?

I didn’t experience this problem with LO 3.4.4 under Linux/Ubuntu, but I did with LO 3.5.3.2 and now also with LO 3.5.4.2 and LO 3.6.0.2 (always under Linux/Ubuntu). The random unwanted italics come when sharing .doc files with non-LO users, or even when saving files in MS formats.
Apparently, the unwanted italics is due to a bug, which is part of “the most annoying bugs ever” (see https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=50285).
Unfortunately, it seems that there isn’t any solution for the moment.

For the record: fdo#50285 - Status: VERIFIED FIXED

Hi @russbe,

If installing the latest release doesn’t seem to fix this problem, please file a bug and provide a list of steps that can reproduce it. The QA team will be happy to help you track down this issue!

Please post a link to any bugs you file in a comment below using the format “fdo#123456”.

Thanks!

Hi,

I reported the steps that can reproduce this bug here fdo#42768 (see also related bug reports below). Bug fdo#53856 is also very similar.

The random unwanted italics is a very annoying problem. I’ve used OO/LO since 2006, most of my old .docs (made with non-affected versions of LO/OO) shows the italics problem. Moreover, the latter makes very very difficult collaborating… even with OO/LO users!

I hope you can do something. Let me know if I can be of any help.
Many thanks.

Related bug reports

Bug 60355 - FORMATTING: Changing the text formatting in one single line (e.g. bold, italic) also changes text formatting in other lines and paragraphs

Bug 42768 - FILESAVE: when I make changes to a text in .doc format (or when transforming .odt into a .doc) and I reopen the file, footnotes and italics are not respected (or go mad, or disappear)