Language version and settings

Hi!
I have a Swedish Win10 system (want to change language there too). I just downloaded and installed an English version of L.O. When starting its in Swedish! Why cannot my choosed option override my Win system language? When trying to change settings - language - I start with UI language, and there is only one option - Swedish! How come? What do I do about it? I expect an English system to at least have that option in the settings list!
TIA /Bertiljoh

Read these guidelines and ask a good question. In particular, you say:

When trying to change settings

How do you try to do it? Describe in details.

There are no separate installers of LibreOffice for different languages: there is a single MSI installer, with all languages included inside. By default, it installs a single UI language - detected from system language. One can select other UI languages in the installer using Custom setup option.

The language that installer itself uses is determined by the language set at Region and Language → Format. That might differ from system language.

There are separate install packages for different languages for LibreOffice help.

OK, thanks. I still don’t see tme meaning in choosing an English install package. But I understand that I have to uninstall the whole thing and then start over again, and in a custom solution track find an option for UI language. I did walk that way but didn’t see that option. I’ll look up mor carefully next time!

I still don’t see tme meaning in choosing an English install package

The choice on the download page relates to help package, not to main installer.

But I understand that I have to uninstall the whole thing and then start over again

No, you only needed to run the installer again (either using the file you downloaded, or in Windows’ Applications applet), and there you may modify your installation.

I did walk that way but didn’t see that option

See this howto.

Yes, it works now - thank you for explaining. It could be explained more clearly from the start, in the texts you read before downloading the installer program from the web.

It is important, from the start, to understand the differces between the different language versions:

• the choice of download of installer in regard to languege version has only to do with help texts;
  • the choice of language for the UI has to be defined at the install, under Custom and not Standard. The second list of language options has to do with UI language and several choices can be made. They will then show up in the drop-down list for selecting UI language. My default is Swedish. Adding English and German means that I can easily switch between the three, depending of work situation.
  • the first choice of languages from a list during install seems to install the proper laguage rules and spellcheckers for the respective language I am writing in, i.e. the language in the documents.