Languagetool on Libreoffice 7.4.1.2 not working

Hi,
I’ve followed the steps here

but after opening my document, no sentences are underlined in blue or green, only some words are underlined in red and it looks as if that is the standard Libreoffice spellchecker and not Languagetool.

In my documents, the text is split into a table where I have a source language on the left and a target language on the right. With previous versions Languagetool had worked fine, then it stopped and I upgraded. After installation, it does not work.
Any ideas on how to solve this are welcome!

Version: 7.4.1.2 / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 3c58a8f3a960df8bc8fd77b461821e42c061c5f0
CPU threads: 8; OS: Mac OS X 12.6; UI render: default; VCL: osx
Locale: it-IT (it_IT.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

Java is installed and recognized:
Schermata 2022-10-03 alle 14.07.06

I have pretty much the exact same problem. I’ve double-checked all my settings and believe them to be correct. It was working, but one of the recent updates seemed to have broken it. As noted above, some of the words are lightly underlined in red and before, I would have left clicked on the word and seen the LT suggestion, but now, nothing…

Same problem here, Local server also doesn’t work

TLDR; Install OpenJDK 8 and configure LibreOffice to use it. (Options → LibreOffice → Advanced, and restart LibreOffice after this).

I had the same issue on Fedora 37 with LibreOffice 7.4.6.2. The issue for me was that Fedora installs and uses OpenJDK 17 by default. Therefore, LibreOffice only sees OpenJDK 17 and selects it, making LanguageTool fail silently (whatever I clicked, I got no response at all, not even the “Options” dialog showed up).
After I installed OpenJDK 8 (java-1.8.0-openjdk, together with some dependencies) and selected it in LibreOffice, LanguageTool started working. Maybe some other Java version also works, but I didn’t test that.

Is it still working?
I’ve tried your solution of installing Openjdk 8 but to no avail.

Thanks!

AFAICS, yes, it still works. English sample text (language setting: US English):

I just tried to switch between 17 and 8, and LT only works when 8 is selected.

When looking for more information about the actual Java requirement, I found this: Installation Issues with LibreOffice/OpenOffice : LanguageTool. The page says: “Make sure Java 8 or later is selected in LibreOffice”. However, in my experience, only Java 8 works. But maybe I’m doing it wrong…

Please also make sure you’re using the latest versions of LibreOffice and LT. I also read a solution which mentioned that there were issues with some LO versions.

… from the same poster :wink:

I read a different post where the LT extension was used and a newer version of LO (and installing/selecting Java 8) fixed the issue. So this looks like a solution to a different issue to me, because it mentions server URLs. The extension doesn’t use any servers, or anyways, that’s what the download page says.

1 Like

But note though, that the question itself refers to the article explaining how to set up the new LibreOffice’s LanguageTool Server connection. That feature doesn’t use Java at all. So the confusion starts from the beginning :wink:

Ah, I hadn’t noticed that: I was focusing on Java, which was shown in the OP’s screenshot. :blush: