Libre office 3.5, calc, broken links

After upgrade from Ubuntu 10.10 to 12.04 my legacy spread sheet (originally an .xls) then a Open Office .xls and now a Libre Office .xls file asks to update links and then displays a dialogue box saying that the link to … is unavailable and will be ignored. Problem is that the link described is incorrect. The links (and there are many hundreds of them) are at a different location. Attempting to break link destroys all links in the spreadsheet. Attempting to modify the links seems to return the proper location but when the spread sheet reloads the links are all pointing at the wrong location. Any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Is a known bug. See https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=48463. I did not yet have time to look closer at the bug. Will hopefully be solved for 3.6

OK, for anyone who has also run into this “feature” discovered that the problem can be temporarily “WORKED-AROUND” by going to the Edit>Links menu and “modifying” the setting to the correct document whereupon the links update correctly. However, if a “reload” is done or the document is re-opened the link path again becomes corrupted. It’s a workaround at least until the right guru discovers what the problem is and issues a patch.

As noted on the bug (fdo#48463) by dev Kohei Yoshida, “It’s a known issue that you can’t save correct external path when saving from non-Windows platform (because we don’t know which drive (i.e. C:, D: etc) the file is located)…this is a platform-dependent limitation, not a regression.”

Hi, I have an XLSX document that have a wrong file link. Every changes I make on the link are lost when I close and reopen the file. These steps seems to make the change persistent:

1. apply changes to the link;
  2. save the doc in ODS format;
  3. save it again in XSLX format.

I’m using Ubuntu 16.04 and LibreOffice 5.1.6.2

After you modify links to point to the right location, save the file and the links will be preserved. Reloading or reopening it before saving discards all changes.