When I set up an SMB with LibreOffice after upgrading their clients to Windows 10 (Pro) I noticed the following issue:
Some .xls files where kept on a flash drive for mobility and secure communication between the offices, which have external links connecting the data between spreadsheets (all on the same flash drive). When opening those files we noticed that the links were not functioning, corrupting all the data from the second spreadsheet onwards. While correcting the links or creating new ones solved the issue as long as the spreadsheet was open, when closing and reopening the links were corrupted again.
While activating in Options the update of external links and setting the necessary folders as secure locations solved the issue for files on the PC itself (even with non-latin characters in the path) the issue persists for the files on the flashdrive, even after setting the macro security to low.
This issue seems to be the same or related with this one, but it seems unprobable that so many years later this issue still isn’t solved.
P.S.: I haven’t tried if the links function in .ods format, as the SMB wants to use the MS formats for compatibility reasons.
UPDATE: The issue stopped occuring for a month or two, but has resurfaced. I have confirmed that the same issue occurs also with .ods files, both on external and internal drives. For the linked data to be read the source file has to be open, otherwise I get “REF!” in the target cell (and so also all subsequent cells). I suspect this is a permissions issue, but I cannot find where to change that.