Libre Office Vanilla prints in Landscape even though it's set to Portrait

(repost of an answer to a similar question)

MANY MANY PEOPLE have been troubled by this longstanding, work-stopping MacOs LibreOffice bug … including my spouse at 2:00 am.

Here is a clean workaround (which I found by exhaustive testing).

The chief advantage of this workaround is that it requires NO changes to the document itself—hence, no future changes will be required, if-and-when some future LibreOffice release fixes this bug.

• MacOS: works for both 10.11.6 (El Capitan) and 10.12.6 (Sierra)

• LibreOffice: works for both 5.3.6 and 5.4.2

1. Call up the print dialog for a “Letter” text document by the usual method, namely “File” → “Print”

2. If necessary, select the menu item “LibreOffice” (other choices in this menu include “Layout”, etc.)

3. Two tabs will be visible now: namely “LibreOffice Writer” and “More”; select the tab “More”

4. Now a menu will be visible, whose choices include “All Pages”.

5. (Here’s the “magic”) select ANY menu item OTHER than “All Pages” … then reselect “All Pages”.

The net effect SHOULD be nil … but instead, this sequence will trigger a refresh of the entire dialog box … and the refreshed box will display a now-correct “Portrait” mode.

Problem solved … but alas, this workaround must be applied anew for each new print job.

Hopefully this work-stopping LibreOffice bug—a bug of several years’ standing—will be fixed sooner rather than later.

Tried this fix but it did not work for me.

I tried this fix, and it did reorient the page but it now the print dialog only sees one page to print (in this case page 2). And it only prints that one page. My husband suggests installing WINE and using LibreOffice for Windows but that seems like too much embedding. Also, I’ll need to disable Gateway temporarily to install WINE which makes me nervous. For now, I’m saving my LO documents as docx then opening them in Pages to print out, which seems a little ironic, but at least it’s working!

this works

Try my suggestion LibreOffice 5 for mac will only print landscape. Please help

Following the advice to set my paper size to 8.52 x 11 worked for me. I then saved it as a template and set that file as my default so I don’t have to remember to reset it each time.

PegM4

I cannot test, but the issue was reported to be fixed in LibO V 5.4.4 (and higher, hopefully).