LibreOffice 7.2 Edit Index Pulldown does not appear

Problem: Upon editing a sub document I am finding that I can no longer place my cursor next to an already indexed entry and edit it. Well, at least not all of them.

But words inside a paragraph, I only get suggestions for spelling, etc…no Index Entry.

It always used to work, so I do not know when this started happening, I assume that last update**?**

Workaround: It appears to work on entries at the beginning of Main Headings and words at the beginning of paragraphs.

My version information follows.

Version: 7.2.5.2 (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 499f9727c189e6ef3471021d6132d4c694f357e5
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 19044; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: en-US (en_US); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

The only way someone can investigate the problem is if you upload your file or the relevant excerpt of it here.

In which file format did you save your document?

Alternatively, you can try the first steps.
First apply step1 and 2 to see if you can get a fix.

See the attached. The file was saved in ODT format.
IndexEditDialogDoesNOTAppear.odt (16.5 KB)

Thank you for upload.

For me, I can put the cursor to the left or right of any entry for the keyword directory, without any problems.

Version: 7.3.1.3 (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: a69ca51ded25f3eefd52d7bf9a5fad8c90b87951
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 19044; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: de-DE (de_DE); UI: de-DE
Calc: CL

You are using 7.3, not 7.2. Isn’t that still in BETA?

I will try it, downloading it now.

Download LibreOffice

I can only right-click at the beginning or anywhere in the middle to get the Edit Index context menu. Selecting the entire field as shown in the screenshot does not allow Edit Index

The Help for Edit Index says To edit an index entry, place the cursor in front of the index field

Tested with 7.2.5.2 and 7.3.1.3

1 Like

This is a limitation of LO Writer.

As shown on your screenshot, the indexed word has a spell check warning (red wavy underline). This spellcheck error takes precedence over the other features.

A good fix would be to create a character style dedicated to proper names. Call it Proper Name with only property Language: set to None in the Font tab.

Then apply this style to all the proper names in your document to dismiss the spell check warning.

When this is done, right-clicking on the index shading will show the Edit Index entry in the popup menu again.

3 Likes

@ajlittoz , good to know.

Thx, I was going to say I see the same behavior on LO7.3. :wink:

As a general rule, you should thoroughly style any document to convey your intent as an author to your readers and to Writer as well. This means a (nearly) final document should show no warnings, including spell check ones. You can’t blame Writer if your text is not “perfect”.
This is only possible with what I call “semantic styling”, i.e. an approach to styling where you annotate your text (paragraph, words, pages) with your significance value, not typographical attributes.

Solution: Well if not styling your document creates an odd behavior like this, than it MUST be explained in the documentation. The documentation implies it just works, regardless of the use of styles and whether or not you have any red squiggles under any words.

As for the word getting totally highlighted or marked when I right-click, that is the behavior of spellcheck kicking in and not done by the end user on purpose. My own thoughts on that, it should not obviate the Index Entry item from being built into the pulldown, but that’s just me.

I agree that the index entries in the pop-up menu should not be wiped off when “something” upsets Writer like existence of a selection or spellcheck warning