LibreOffice Calc cells format differently on different PCs

I am having a weird issue that has been a thing in LibreOffice Calc for a number of years; the cells format differently based on the machine I’m using. This is what these cells look like on my laptop:

These are the same cells on my home PC:

The zoom level is the same on both. Why does LibreOffice do this and is there anything that I can do about it?

Thanks!

Share the version information* of both machines. Thanks.
* menu Help - About LibreOffice.

Just to discard
Same font? Same font version? Absent fonts names are shown in italics in the Font Name field of the Formatting toolbar.
Same cell style parameters?
Same screen resolution?

1 Like

The version is 24.8.

The font is the same on both machines - Liberation Serif (the default that comes with Libreoffice) - the thicker black font is called Impact and it is the same on both machines as well.

Cell style parameters are the same.

Display resolution is 1920x1080 which is the recommended for both machines.

Please upload an ODF type sample file here.

Is the size of both displays the same?
Recommended means usually this is the resolution of the matrix. If my full-hd screen on desktop is bigger than my laptops screen I’ll get different results, if I try to get the same “size” on both displays, because dpi is different…

1 Like

See that both screenshots has different size (1030×342 and 768×300). Have you resized one/both of them?

Not just the version number.
In this PC:
Version: 7.6.7.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: dd47e4b30cb7dab30588d6c79c651f218165e3c5
CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 17763; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: es-MX (es_AR); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

The size of the displays are not the same.

However, I don’t think that matters:

On my laptop at work, I have a 14.7" screen laptop, but my extra monitor is a 22.9" screen and it looks correct both places (I typically work on it on the 22.9" screen)

At home, I have a 22.9" screen and my extra monitor is a 21" screen and it looks wrong both places (I typically work on it here on the 22.9" screen).

Hope that helps.

Yes, you are correct; I just clicked and dragged manually to take the screen shot with the Windows Snipping Tool so… don’t pay any mind to the actual size of the screenshot.

This is my work laptop:

Version: 24.8.0.3 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 0bdf1299c94fe897b119f97f3c613e9dca6be583
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 11 X86_64 (10.0 build 22631); UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: en-US (en_US); UI: en-US

I’m at work now because I work ungodly hours but if you still think you need the other version from home, I can provide that tonight when I return.

I appreciate the eyes on this and thanks.

This is my PC at home:

CPU threads: 32; OS: Windows 11 X86_64 (10.0 build 22631); UI render: Skia/Vulkan; VCL: win
Locale: en-US (en_US); UI: en-US
Calc: CL threaded

I will note that this happened on the PC that I used before I replaced it this weekend as well. The actual file is below.

2024 ESU FB - Week 0 WU.ods (140.9 KB)

Can you confirm the following settings are the same on both PC’s?

1. Use anti-aliasing
  2. Screen font anti-aliasing (and that the minimum size is the same)
  3. Do you have anything listed in the font replacement table?

Something else you could try is copying the LibreOffice user profile from one PC to the other (backup/rename your old profile first). This should ensure all LibreOffice settings between both PC’s are the same.

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/UserProfile

I see your file as you show on your second screenshot. Skia/Vulkan vs. Raster, and AA, don’t affect the view (expectedly). Using Version: 24.8.1.1 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: ef51c4a0cd35185debf25ad9d0db6a1c14bed5a0
CPU threads: 24; OS: Windows 11 X86_64 (10.0 build 26100); UI render: Skia/Vulkan; VCL: win
Locale: ru-RU (ru_RU); UI: en-US
Calc: CL threaded
Interesting to find out, what causes the difference…

And I see it as in the first screenshot. :slight_smile:

Version: 24.2.5.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: bffef4ea93e59bebbeaf7f431bb02b1a39ee8a59
CPU threads: 6; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 19045; UI render: default; VCL: win
Locale: ru-RU (ru_RU); UI: en-US

After restarting in safe mode, the result does not change.

imagen

imagen

Tested with:
CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 10 X86_64 (10.0 build 17763); UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: es-MX (es_AR); UI: es-ES
Screen resolution: 1152 × 864 (yes, an old and good CRT).

1 Like

Two screenshots from one screen (cell EA86:FP98).
Screen 2024-09-10 153104

Screenshot_20240910_152447

1. See my previous message.
  2. Remote desktop:
Version: 7.5.6.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 50(Build:2)
CPU threads: 4; OS: Linux 5.15; UI render: default; VCL: kf5 (cairo+xcb)
Locale: ru-RU (ru_RU.UTF-8); UI: ru-RU
Debian package version: 4:7.5.6~rc2-0ubuntu1+ci202309131633+astra7

Nice catch!
Given the identical zoom level on both original screenshots - it’s interesting to note, that one has 1030 pixels wide, and the other 768, while both show the same area - so different PPI (resulting in the same difference as the different zoom gives).

1 Like

As far as anti-aliasing, that’s not something that I typically control outside of gaming… there’s a number of games that will have anti-aliasing options but I don’t mess with it in Windows… I’m happy to check if there 's a specific setting you are wanting to look at though.

As far as the “font anti-aliasing” I am assuming you are meaning “Smooth edges of screen fonts” in the Performance Options?

I’ll check on my home PC when I get there this afternoon but it is enabled on my work laptop (that would correspond to the screenshot where everything looks correct).

I do NOT use the font replacement table at work or at home. I’ll check it at home just to be sure but I’ve never seen that menu until today so I can’t imagine anything got put in there but I’ll look at it just to be sure.

I’ll try copying the UserProfile from work TO home and let you know the results.

I think that he noticed this as well… I’m going to show 4 more screen shots here… this was interesting.

These were all taken from my work laptop. I have highlighted the Superlatives box this time as this is where I noticed it… but the text looks like it is formatted correctly on some zoom levels… but NOT others…

The zoom level is tiny but you can see it in the bottom right. Again, these screen shots are taken by hand so do not pay attention to their actual size.

THIS one looks how I intend.

THIS one does not.

This zoom also doesn’t look right:

But zooming in a little further it is back to OK again…

As you guys have probably guessed, these are spotting boards that I use to call football/basketball games. The #1 thing I’m looking for is that the look on the screen will look the same as it will when I print it (as I actually read the thing in real life and not on a monitor). I typically convert to PDF before printing (my printer likes it a little better that way since it is a tabloid sized cardstock I use which is not a standard size for most printers).

Any thoughts you have on how to make that happen would be great. I would think that the document should look the same at any zoom level…

Appreciate all the eyes on this so far.

There’s nothing you can do. We do some approximations depending of available pixel size (which depends on zoom, as well as on screen resolution); so yes, what you see is not possible to change on your side. It could be possible to improve as a bugfixing, though.