LibreOffice Impress Toolbars visibilty popping

This constant Toolbar visibility popping in and out and thus rearranging the layout of the whole slide whenever I click around is super annoying. And, quite frankly, driving me seriously away from Impress.

I found this How to keep toolbars from pop-ing up and disappearing in impress

Yet I do not want to create some custom toolbars. I just want to turn this context-sensitive toolbar visibility completely off. Somewhere in some option.

Are there any thoughts on this to provide such an option?
Or is this already implemented and I just missed it?

User interface in Writer

Can that help?

Hi, thx for the suggestion. I already played around with different User Interface settings as depicted in your reference, but to no avail.

I’d like “Single Toolbar” but without this context-sensitive popping in and out. Interestingly I do not have similar annoyances in Calc or Writer. It’s “just” Impress which drives me really nuts with this.

Have a look at:

LibreOffice 7.2 Community: Release Notes - The Document Foundation Wiki

→ Global toolbar lock can now switched off via View > Toolbars tdf#131817

Except for “Standard” I have disabled all toolbars.

It then remains fairly constant:

Impress - Symbolleisten popping 74148

Version: 7.3.0.3 (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 0f246aa12d0eee4a0f7adcefbf7c878fc2238db3
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 19044; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: de-DE (de_DE); UI: de-DE
Calc: CL

Thx again. I’m using LibreOffice 7.2.5.2 and nope. Does not work.

This option just does not let me rearrange the visible toolbars but does not hinder Toolbars from popping in and out.

Example: Set “View / Toolbars / Text Formatting” (which I needed ALWAYS) to be visible. Click around. This Toolbar disappears and reappears if you happen to click a text area or not. Since this switches the upper part of the visible area in my setup having 2 or 3 lanes of toolbars back and forth the slide itself shifts around always as if it has some sort of epileptic seizure.

This gets very exaggerated if you have a lot of text and drawings and images. If you accidentally click an image then the “Text Formatting” toolbar vanishes, shifting the whole visible slide upwards. Struck by panic, I immediately click the very same position with my mouse (or simply by double-clicking). If now this happens to be some text again (remember: the whole slide shifted upwards, but my mouse remains static at the position) then the “Text Formatting” toolbar jumps in back again, shifting all down again.

Locking toolbars on or off does not have any effect on this behaviour.

Undock the text formatting toolbar so it floats on top of the document without changing the screen layout otherwise.

Yes, this works. I set “Text Formatting” and “Outline” as floating, position them somewhere outside the Impress App Window not to cover other UI elements: they remain floating when I click text, images, blah in random order.

Thx.

Though, this feels more like a hack than a real solution.

Nope. Back again. Sometimes the floating Toolbar repositions itself somewhere lower, then I move it up again and on the very next click on some element on the slide the floating Text Formatting toolbar disappears.
I have to reenable it within the “View / Toolbars” menu again. =(

When you have the Text Formatting toolbar open and docked, why not dock (and lock) the Zoom toolbar (chosen because it is short, reduce number of visible buttons if needed) at the end of the same row?
When the text Formatting toolbar closes as you click away, the Zoom toolbar will remain and there will be no change in positioning

1 Like

Yes, this blocks Impress from visually jumping up and down. So to some extent, this is a solution.
Both, “Text Formatting” and “Zoom” are next to each other and locked. While “Text Formatting” vanishes and reappears, the “Zoom” stays in place and hinders Impress to rearrange.

This is not the “turn off all context visibility toolbar switching” but at last that’s a remedy.