LibreOffice will only start in safe mode

Situation: LibreOffice 7.1.6 (just updated from 7.1.5) on Windows 10 pro.
Starting LibreOffice or one of its modules via start menu or by double-clicking in FileExplorer on any ODF-document produces an busy-mouse cursor for a moment and that’s it.
LibreOffice will start in safe mode.
Removing user settings, resetting to factory settings and all other options when starting in safe mode does not help, it starts in safe mode, but not in normal mode.

Another Windows computer with the same situation does not have this problem.

Any clues for fixing this problem?

Try updating your graphics drivers.
If that doesn’t work, then revert to 7.1.5.2. For similar question see How To Go To Normal Mode From Safe Mode. I assume OP’s answer means OP re-installed older version successfully rather than got 7.1.6.2 to work. Cheers, Al

1 Like

Hey Winfried (/me waves), sounds like you ran into tdf#144434 and EarnestAl’s advice to update drivers could fix that.

1 Like

Hey Eike,

Great to hear from you!
I can’t keep my hands off, but are still a (long) way from contributing again…
It does look very much like tdf#144434 indeed.

EarnestAl, Eike,

Updating Graphics drivers didn’t work (it’s a simple onboard Intel Graphics driver anyway), so I reverted to version 7.1.5, which does work. I’ll wait for 7.1.7 (or 7.2.3) with further LibreOffice updates for this machine.

According to bug report, you can disable Skia in 7.1.5.2 then upgrade to 7.1.6.2 so Skia is already disabled and it should work OK.
No harm in wait and see, LO can’t change how Skia operates but maybe they can fix effective disabling of Skia in Safe Mode again