Linux Libertine wrong on Ubuntu based distros

I lost about 2 hours a this weekend trying to troubleshoot why my current technical editor opened my 598 page book and got north of 900 pages with a lot of weird page breaks. I was using Linux Libertine for the main font as it used to be the default years ago. It was then I discovered Windows has this by default.
image description

But even after installing the Linux Libertine font directly from the .org site for the font I had this on Linux.
image description

I have blown pretty much all of today setting up different VMs and testing with the latest and greatest 6.3.4 direct from the LO Web site. I installed Ubuntu Mate 18.04 minimal and after installing LO from the command line I see this:
image description

Here are my questions:

1. Was the O vs. G font name a known LO bug which has now been fixed or is this a problem in the Debian/Ubuntu maintainer world?
  2. If LO really is including the G version now with 6.3.4 why did I not see it when I installed 6.3.4 on KDE Neon?

Thanks,

On Linux, if you install the LibreOffice that comes with your distribution, the fonts are managed by your package manager, not by LibreOffice.

Note that:

Linux Libertine O is the original project, but its development stopped several years ago.

Linux Libertine G is a fork of the “O” version that uses graphite technology. Its development also stopped years ago.

Libertinus fonts is also a fork of the “O” version, this time using OpenType technology. It’s in active development.

My advice: stop using Linux Libertine, O or G, and switch to the Libertinus font family ASAP.

It’s in active development

But the github page tells:

This project is in maintenance mode. Only bug reports will be considered, or feature requests accompanied by pull requests.

Last build is only 7 days old :wink: The maintainer is quick to respond to reports.