MALWAREBYTES report PUP in Libre files when trying to print

MALWAREBYTES report PUP in Libre files when trying to print. file is then quarantined.

What is going on?

Both Writer and Presentation exhibit this.

MALWAREBYTES is a recommended and rated antivirus tool. IMHO, its been better for several years that some of the big names. Comes in free and paid versions at modest cost.

PUP is a term it use for a suspicious item detected. PUP.Optional.InstallCore
This is something in the LIBRE file that may be attempting to access the internet when I am trying to print to my local printer. Happened in both WRITER and PRESENTATION. (text and Screen shot)

Using Win 11 OS, LIBRE version 7.4.1.2 (x64) DELL PC

Unable to edit original question - Firefox browser. forced to use this comment box.
Will try with Edge or Chrome.

UPDATE: Chrome lets me edit the original question as requested.

What is going on?

Tell us more please.

In order to be able to help you as quickly as possible, we need to know your operating system and the LibreOffice version (four-digit, e.g. 7.3.2.2).

I dont’t no what is MALWAREBYTES(?), PUP(?)
-I googled it, i think it’s snake oil.-

Please complete your question.
The help on this page is mainly provided by users like you.

An important aspect is the correct specification of the tags.
Choose at least one of the valid tags that match your situation: Writer, Calc, Draw, Impress, Math, Base or Common.

Your question and the corresponding description should be as detailed as possible.
Please remember that no one can look over your shoulder when you ask your question and describe it.

All important information about your initial question should be present in the initial question box, otherwise edit and complete it., to do it.

Please do not use answers (solutions) or comments for this.

If you have already fulfilled some of these requirements, so much the better. Thanks.

Here you can find the further References for this page.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

MALWAREBYTES is a recommended and rated antivirus tool. IMHO, its been better for several years that some of the big names. Comes in free and paid versions at modest cost.

PUP is a term it use for a suspicious item detected. PUP.Optional.InstallCore
This is something in the LIBRE file that may be attempting to access the internet when I am trying to print to my local printer. Happened in both WRITER and PRESENTATION. (text and Screen shot)

Using Win 11 OS, LIBRE version 7.4.1.2 (x64) DELL PC

Unable to edit original question - Firefox browser. forced to use this comment box.
Will try with Edge or Chrome.

Have you done a full system scan? It might be an indication that you have a virus on your system. If all clear then run an online scan from a competing AV company.

Probably best to ask at Malwarebytes forum.

Thanks, full scan done with fully updated AV.

Will run a competing AV – though I have microsoft win 11 security also in place.

I updated to the latest version of Libre Office, but got same rejection on print.

Suspect there something in LiBre that triggers MB (false positive) but of course not sure.

Will reply again after other different AV scan.

Ben

EarnestAl
January 11

Have you done a full system scan? It might be an indication that you have a virus on your system. If all clear then run an online scan from a competing AV company.

Probably best to ask at Malwarebytes forum.

Two problems here: P for potential and the detection by heuristics. So this is usually just a warning. LibreOffice for example contains code to load extensions, can open a port, may use services like databases on the net etc. Similiar techniques may used by malware to load other code or open a backdoor.
The one thing to do after you get a warning like this is to check, where you downloaded your copy of LibreOffice and the integrity of this archive by checksum. If this is ok and trustworthy you should be safe. You may tell Malwarebytes of your findingsv so they can improve their filters or just update “whitelisting” known projects and versions.
If you are really concerned of security, you may improve firewall settings an check the security settings of LibreOffice. You could also change to use other programs, wich are more simple, if you don’t really use/need most of the office suite.
To get you back to work: Try if you can create a pdf. If this is possible print the pdf.
If this is a problem of “new version not known by Malwarebytes” you can try to use an older version.
Most AV systems allow you to whitelist software/documents. Check the manual of your software for this.

No matter how good an AV vendor is, (in fact - any software developer is) - any software has bugs; and in this case, if you downloaded LibreOffice from the official site, then it’s either false positive, or a problem comes from another software (e.g., a virtual printer driver).