"Merge Cells" and "Split Cells" greyed out and not shown in context menu

I was editing a simple spreadsheet and suddenly Merge and Split disappeared. There are several existing merged cells, so I tested to see if I could split them and it was no-go. I had already merged a few cells, horizontal, vertical and a block of cells and then the options disappeared. I tried closing LO completely and bringing it back, but it was the same. Then I brought up some older spreadsheets and created a new speradsheet and could could Merge and Split with no problem, but if I saved the file under a new name or made a copy with a file manager or even command line, the problems were the same. Any ideas what’s going on? (OpenSuse Leap 15.1, LO Version: 6.4.4.2 Build ID: 40(Build:2), spreadsheet size: 235kb).

2 Likes

Did you enable sheet protection?

Have you disabled “edit mode” (last item on the edit menu, IIRC)?

Does it only happen with the original, offending file, or does it also happen when you save the newly created files? (Your descriptikn was a bit unclear on cthis point.)

1 Like

Found it myself. Somehow Edit > Track Changes > Record got turned on. Strange, though, as I didn’t ever use the Edit menu on this spreadsheet. I also found a Record Track Changes button on my Standard toolbar, so maybe I clicked it accidently (and I removed it). It’s not well documented in the Calc Guide.

2 Likes

Disabling of Track Changes solved the problem, thank you…

1 Like