[Meta] Could we have a Meta-AskLibO?

Lately I have noticed that many posts are not questions but announcements and general information or queries. I understand that this is the only way to do it right now, but eventually it would be nice to have a «meta» companion site, just like they have on Stack Exchange sites. As a contributor to TeX.SE, I very much appreciate the relevance of such meta-sites.

Perhaps we could also have a blog of our own, again just like those other sites! It would be a great place to post tutorials and musings. If we had a blog, I would gladly submit articles for it on a regular basis.

Our community deserves to grow and thrive. Stack Exchange sites such as TeX.SE have great content and communities; I feel that we should get inspiration from them and attempt to gain even more visibility in the coming months.

Update

I agree that initial posts should be more question-focussed than currently. I think human resources are likely to be a constraint for the proliferation of LO sites. Can you provide some outline of the types/categories of posts you see as being “meta” in nature? I ask for others who may be less familiar with such sites.

I have been wondering whether the Vote for Enhancement TDF Wiki page could not be turned into something like http://enhance.libreoffice.org. That would allow diverting of enhancement requests from here (AskLO) to a more public, and possibly democratic, theatre. I am interested in the opinions of others.

EDIT: I am including the advice by @qubit1 here for clarity. For now, the correct response is to add the tag ‘todo-close-enhanceme’ to the question and add the following answer to all enhancement request type questions:

(brief outline of issue, if necessary)

Please file an enhancement
bug

and provide as much information about
this new feature as possible. Don’t
forget to mark your bug as an
‘enhancement’. The QA team will be
happy to help you triage your feature
request in the bugtracker.

Please post a link to any bugs you
file in a comment below using the
format “fdo#123456”.

Thanks!

I would support the “enhance.libreoffice.org”. There is not much movement in Vote for enhancement. I think to complecated to use.

@oweng See my updated answer with examples.

We’re considering implementing an “Affects me” button on FDO (see QA Meeting minutes).

Direct voting has been proposed several times, however there aren’t (m)any devs who want to be beholden to the raw votes of the user pool, and AFAIK nobody has stepped up to pay for the most-voted items to be implemented/fixed :slight_smile:

Regarding enhancement requests, please direct users to FDO (Bugzilla) and ask them to file a bug. That’s the best place for them to live, and will help to keep the Ask site focused on questions that we can answer, rather than dev requests that are outside of our scope.

I try to monitor the tag ‘todo-close-enhanceme’ and resolve any questions that have an Answer like this on them: Allow keyboard shortcuts to include the Mac option key (⌥)

Thanks for the QA meeting information and direction about this. I will try and ensure I do as you suggest.

Meta is a site to discuss the Q&A platform, not the subjects of the Q&A. For instance, ask.libreoffice.org looks very outdated compared to stackexchange sites (not only visually but functionally too), I would go to meta to see why is that… but there’s no meta here. I can’t even find a button to follow a question, although I can see it should be possible (since there’s such a tab on the profile page).

I too agree to @CyanCG’s initial post as well as to @oweng’s answer and look forward to more specific proposal to enable feedback.