Move endnotes to the end of the article

Using LibreOffice Writer, version 7.4.2.3, with a Windows 11 Dell computer, and want to move my endnotes to the end of .odt document, I’ve tried in Insert section, followed steps and nothing happens. Made page break, highlighted all of text, clicked on Insert Section, then selected Footnotes/Endnotes, then selected endnotes, then "collect at end of section under endnotes and pushed insert- Didn’t thing I had to click on restart numbering, already had them numbered. Pushed insert and nothing happened.

Please complete your question.
The help on this page is mainly provided by users like you.

An important aspect is the correct specification of the tags.
Choose at least one of the valid tags that match your situation: Writer, Calc, Draw, Impress, Math, Base or Common.

Your question and the corresponding description should be as detailed as possible.
Please remember that no one can look over your shoulder when you ask your question and describe it.

In order to be able to help you as quickly as possible, we need to know your operating system and the LibreOffice version (three digits, e.g. 7.3.2).
Please also state the file type in which you have saved your file.

All important information about your initial question should be present in the initial question box, otherwise edit and complete it.
For additions please edit your input question, to do it.
Please do not use answers (solutions) for this.
If you have already fulfilled some of these requirements, so much the better. Thanks.

You may want to upload a reduced and anonymized file here so that someone can examine it.

Here you can find the further References for this page.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

Inserting and Editing Footnotes or Endnotes

1 Like

Thanks for your helpfullness, from it I may have figured the problem will get back to you

Restated the initial problem with requested data needed to help with problem solution.

I still don’t understand the question. Endnotes are alwaysplaced at end of document (and this is a problem when author or layout directives request additional text after the endnotes). The question makes sense only if your notes are in fact footnotes you want to position differently. To clarify, attach a 1- or 2-page sample so that we can see what you actually wrote.

1 Like

Your statement is confusing to me, “endnotes are always spaced at the end of document,” do you mean that particular document page as is seen in the .jpg attached? My desire is -how do I move those end of page endnotes on all 13 pages of the document to really making a bibliography?

C7D0CC562FDD496BA3AB0D8E8F48CCD7.png

It seems there is a vocabulary confusion. Writer makes a distinction between endnotes and footnotes. According to your comment above, you in fact mean footnotes.

One possible answer is to look at Tools>Footnotes & Endnotes where you can configure the Position of your footnotes, assuming they are really Writer footnotes, i.e. created with Insert>Footnote & Endnote>``Footnote`.

At this stage, we have almost no information on how you created your notes, so be careful. First, don’t mess up your document with sections. They are not necessary (again assuming you have Writer footnotes).

One very important point is to save your document as .odt, Writer native format, otherwise formatting stability cannot be guaranteed, nor eventually achieved.

Which JPEG? Nothing is attached

If you want to create a bibliography, there is a more adapted tool for this. Have a look at Insert>TOC & Index>Bibliography Entry. Among other features it will merge duplicate entries into a single one and list them in alphabetical order on a key you can choose. Read the Help article about it.

Thanks much- Many books are giving footnote links to the end of book as a list of “Notes,” apparently saving space on each page for actual subject matter, which is what I found out getting into this for the first time- In Word, apparently you can cut and paste bottom of page endnotes to an end of document to make a biblio or notes section. I hope you understood my meaning of footnotes and endnotes via jpgs off the browser image search feature. My understanding isn’t clear which endnotes means- note at end of page, or endnote at end of document. I hope my meaning of footnote is link at the end of the sentence reference is attached to.

Just like in everything is there a standard, it’s hard to tell. My wife quite tutoring English because of the hassle of which “convention” is to be followed. Like- our math skills in the U.S. would be a tad better if we only taught metrics.

Thanks for your patience. Much appreciated.

Footnotes/Endnotes

Thanks for the definitions- Does anyone see this definition is a tad contradictory?

Adds footnotes at the end of the section. If the section spans more than one page, the footnotes are added to the bottom of the page on which the footnote anchors appear.

Ok so a footnote is at the end of a page- because if the text is more than one page it is not found at the end of the section it is found at the end of the page it was place at. So then, a footnote can be only at the end of a section if it is (the section) is one page.

Not one footnote was ever entered by LO Writer to the end of a section- only to the page they were attached to.

Am I riding backwards on my camel or am I understanding the verbiage correctly?

“Oh, the infinite fatigue of persuasion,” my college prof spouted.

Remember Writer is not Word. Things may be done totally different in Writer. In particular,

this won’t work in Writer. By copying the note text, you break the link between the anchor (the position in text) and the note. Note text can be pasted anywhere but it no longer references the anchor and you get an unnumbered paragraph.

Writer vocabulary:

• footnote: a note at bottom (foot in typography lexicon) of page (may be positioned elsewhere through configuration of Tools>Footnotes & Endnotes)
  • endnote: a note always at end of current section; in case there is no “current” section, end of document
  • section: not the same concept as in Word; a Writer section is a part of a page (or consecutive pages managed by the same page style) where the number of columns is different from the page configuration
    If you keep only one column in the section, you can split your book into several parts for purpose of note relocation. But refrain from doing that if you don"t really need. There are other ways for note location.

I understand Word is different, I was speaking to the sentence structure of footnotes definition, exploring the idea of contrary.

A section is another special term.

Probably the thing to do is to read the Writer Guide to find out what things mean. Download from English documentation | LibreOffice Documentation - LibreOffice User Guides

Personally, I find nothing at all confusing about footnotes being at the bottom of the page and endnotes being at the end of the document ( or end of chapter if so configured).

It’s not a definition, but an explanation of how you can work with those things. Traditionally, the terms for notes were footnotes, that would always appear at the bottom of a page (in books with many footnotes, there might not be enough room at the bottom of the page with the footnote mark in the text, in that case the footnote text would move to the next page), and notes, that would appear at the end of the text. I believe that the term “end note” was invented when word processors first appeared and the entire printers’ terminology was thrown at the general public. The next step was the complaint of people who started a document with footnotes and wanted to turn them into end notes after all. You can then either convert them, or have the developers add an option to place footnotes at the end of a document, and there you are. A mess. But not the fault of LibreOffice.

Footnotes can be positioned at end of document. The setting is in Tools>Footnotes & Endnotes. But this assumes that the notes have been created appropriately so that Writer identifies them as such. Considering OP’s interrogations, I fear that the whole document is an horrible mess of direct formatting and manual ersatz of built-in feature, perhaps aggravated by Word-induced so-called intuitive behaviour.