No HelloWorldPython nor any other Python script using AppImage

Hi, everybody!

I cannot find the HelloWorldPython, nor I can run/edit any Python script. I’m in Mabox (Manjaro) using the latest Fresh Standard AppImage: LibreOffice-fresh.standard-x86_64.AppImage.

I have created the ~/.config/libreoffice/4/user/Scripts/python directory. I put the simplest script, but it does not appear in the Run dialog for Python scripts:

I do have a JRE installed and detected in my system.

What am I missing?

AppImage
Version: 24.2.4.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 51a6219feb6075d9a4c46691dcfe0cd9c4fff3c2
CPU threads: 8; OS: Linux 5.4; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: es-MX (en_US.UTF-8); UI: es-ES
Calc: threaded

Looks like there is no »libreoffice-script-provider-python« included in this AppImage, maybe there is a seperate libreoffice-script-provider-python -package in the appstore? … search for it!

Otherwise try: apso.oxt form there

Thanks for your comment, karolus.

Unfortunately, in Manjaro’s appstore (using yay to cover both pamac regular repos and AUR’s), there is no libreoffice-script-provider-python :frowning:

Besides, the APSO extension cannot be installed; I’m going to report it to the author in Gitlab:

APSO depends on Python script provider. No Python = no way to install. I don’t think it makes sense to report this to someone who has no control over the Python presence. AppImage packager is where it might make sense to file an issue.

1 Like

AFAIK »libreoffice-scriptprovider-python« is provided by one single file pythonscript.py … you may download it from there and copy to …libreoffice/program/pythonscript.py

OK. I get it, @mikekaganski.

I guess it will be a bit cumbersome because I’m using an appimage.
Do I have to extract the files, copy the new pythonscript.py, and then repack the files, @karolus ?

thereis only one file in the archiv …extract it … rename it to »pythonscript.py« and copy it into …/libreoffice/program/

1 Like

Well, I’m stalled.

@karolus, even I managed to extract, copy, and repackage the AppImage (even I checked the different sizes of pythonscript.py to be sure it is copied into the AppImage), I’m not able to open any Python script.

Obviously, I have python, and JRE/JDK installed.

I installed LibO Fresh from sources, according to wiki for parallel installations, but I see the same situation…

But I do have python3 installed; it seems the bridge between LibO and python is not. Neither Arch nor Manjaro have this package

JRE/JDK is completely unrelated. Forget about JRE/JDK in the frame of this question. It would only be important, when discussing features like Java macro support, or Base wizards.

Indeed, the script support provider is not that single file, even if a package would only contain one file. E.g., without respective .rdb files in <INSTALLLOCATION>/program/services, this won’t work; and I don’t know what else would be needed.

partially off topic: @mikekaganski
I find a couple off …rdb -files in …/program/services/ … but wait :postal_horn:tada :postal_horn: its …xml! wtf… Who thought up this nonsense?

Why nonsense? RDBs were upgraded quite long ago (I believe, that it was at least planned already in OOo times, even if implemented only in LO).

unoidl-write mentions “new- or legacy-format .rdb file”.

Or I may be completely confusing things; another documentation page seems to describe the files as binary.

It’s actually nice that binary formats are being replaced by human-readable formats wherever possible, but does it have to be the worst human-readable format of all?

Maybe it is easier to install regular than repairing an appimage…

1 Like

If you mean xml, we shouldn’t be surprised. ODF is xml-based, so it makes sense to use xml instead of inventing yet another markup language (yaml already exists anyway).
And professionals are going to have a lot of fun, when all(?) invoices are going to be in xml… :grin:

Thanks for the clarification about JRE/JDK. Wasn’t sure at all.
Thanks for the support, anyways, @mikekaganski

That’s also another thing I have to learn: XSLT to import invoices data into Calc. Endless! ;D

Already tried that first, @Wanderer. Even tried the parallel installation for the native LibO download, to avoid distro’s annoyances. No luck to me.

Manjaro is a bit behind Arch, and the current libreoffice-fresh package is 24.2.3.2, which lacks the manual option to create a report (which I need). This regression was corrected in 24.2.4.2, the current version.

In contrast, Python works well, using the APSO extension (Manjaro 24.2.3.2 version). Hence, my impulse to try the appimage, because I need both features (manual creation of reports and Python macros).

It’s frustrating, to be honest, specially because I ran out of ideas to solve this :frowning:

I don’t know, what “the manual option” is, but the former Oracle Report Builder, but this tool was written in java. I didn’t see it in the options in above links, but it is a common limit/flaw on LibreOffice for Linux, to come without java-dependecies. - usually a decision of the maintainer.

Indeed it needs Java.

You can see how the manual creation menu item is missing. You can only see the wizard option.