Not able to import videos in Impress

Hi all,

I’ve searched around a bit a found links that explain many of the issues with trying to bring a video file into an Impress presentation, but nothing has helped yet.

Almost no matter what I do, I get the “format not supported” error message.

I’m building my presentation on Windows 7, but I have no idea what I’ll be on when I actually present the slide show. I’m betting it will be a Mac or Linux laptop. I’ve tried compressing the videos tons of different ways, using the most common and some pretty obscure codecs (including mp4, mpeg, mov, avi, etc… )

For example, this link

sends me to a list of supported codecs here
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms787745(VS.85).aspx

I’ve tried using codecs like MPEG-4, MPEG-2, Sorenson3, and many, many others. I’m compressing through both After Effects and Handbrake. Literally the only thing that has worked so far has been rendering avi files with the codec “Intel IYUV”, whatever that is. It works, but the files are HUGE, so it’s not ideal.

I’m having a hard time believing that a simple mp4 compression just doesn’t work. Anyone have any ideas at all? I want this to be a smooth presentation, and I just can’t see how it’s going to happen.

Thanks in advance!!

Sean

Those lists will just add to the confusion.
Those lists (and you) are interchanging the terms for containers/file formats, codecs, and various standards.
You should concentrate on a common denominator media format which is supported by most systems/devices.

File format: MP4
Video codec: x264/AVC
Audio codec: AAC
Handbrake has a number of pre-sets for devices which you should be able test fairly easily.

You could have codec issues on your system.
Can you play the MP4 files in Windows Media Player?

What version of LibreOffice?

I would be happy to test files for you.

I don’t think that mp4 will work !!
I think that the video must be in Directshow.

I used avidemux to convert my MP4 video to AVI (as well as edited it) and it worked fine.
I also have used a online converter to convert MP4 to AVI as well and that worked.

Good luck,
Jon