ODP impress file corrupted, cannot be repaired

Hello, I created an ODP file with libreoffice impress (installed via scoop in Windows 11).
1 month later, after an overall update using scoop, the file is corrupted and cannot be repaired.
Also Google Slides and Powerpoint cannot open the file.
Looking at my cloud storage archive/history where i saved the file, there was only a single version of it.

Is this something that happened to other people?
It looks like the data in the file is forever lost - how can this be prevented in the future?
Thanks

Save to your built-in hard drive first!

Preventing data disaster

Thanks Hrbrgr, I edited the file for more than 1 week on a local SSD. I also edited other ODT files.
Those files are synced to a managed Nextcloud.
Now 1 month later just this 1 ODP file fails to load.
The probably one main thing that changed was the update of LibreOffice to version 24.2.5.
The Nextcloud only recognized a single file, which is indeed a bit strange as I edited a couple of times.
So yes… it could be anything.

Autosave / backup by default would help.

says what ? :thinking:

In fact, you never mentioned the exact wording of the error message you see, nog to mention providing your file for examination for others. Sometimes people can try and fix it.

Reboot fixed my problem I thought i was going to die

Alright.
The solution is of course, obviously, the proper backup system.

I still do not know what exactly happened. It does not look like a scoop problem but a Nextcloud sync issue “glitch”. But usually Nextcloud doesnt change files… if there is a conflict it duplicates files with new file names…

I suggest that there could be some safety net implemented that always makes backup autosave copies.
An online collaboration tool like Google Docs always saves everything and has extensive routines in the background saving all the time instantly - I guess.

With LibreOffice I have to currently manually take care of file saving.
It’s ok, but there could be something designed, that, already activated with an Opt-Out, makes backups…

The first thing at the top left of MS Powerpoint is a button “Autosave”… It then asks you to save to MS OneDrive… which is also stupid and a vendor lock in… but goes into the right direction.

“Always create backup copy” is a small checkbox hidden in a menu I guess no one every stumbles upon before something bad happens.

Thanks everyone, I consider this issue closed.
(In the end I needed to redo the whole file based on a PDF I luckily did export from the original ODP…)

Original error message:

The file ‘[REDACTED]’ is corrupt and therefore cannot be opened. LibreOffice can try to repair the file.

The corruption could be the result of document manipulation or of structural document damage due to data transmission.

We recommend that you do not trust the content of the repaired document.
Execution of macros is disabled for this document.

Should LibreOffice repair the file?

When I click yes, the file is just empty.

And:

General Error.
General input/output error.

Unfortunately not very verbose. Maybe there is some log, but the log is not mentioned in the error message.

Since 24.2 backup is on by default but might not apply to installations upgraded from previous versions.
Changes in automatic saving of documents: “Save AutoRecovery information” is turned on by default, as well as “Always create backup copies”. Backup copies accumulate in the folder specified by Tools ▸ Options ▸ LibreOffice ▸ Paths. Both settings can be turned off in Tools ▸ Options ▸ Load/Save ▸ General ▸ Save. tdf#152463 (Bogdan Buzea)

Have you looked in backup location defined in Paths?

If the Impress file was open at the time that Scoop upgraded LibreOffice then the temporary file might still be in the temporary folder defined in Paths.
The temporary folder for a particular file will begin with lu and end in .tmp, e.g. lu2895619524.tmp. Inside find the largest file also beginning with lu and ending tmp and copy to Documents. Open copied file from within LibreOffice.

I’m not familiar with exactly how Scoop works but I’m under the impression it does some sandboxing or something similar. Although LibreOffice is free to use and/or install how you like it makes problem solving by anyone other than yourself quite difficult.

It could just be a one off thing that happened to happen to you.
It could be an issue with whatever cloud storage you have setup.
It could be an issue with installing LibreOffice in Scoop.
I could be a hardware issue.

If you want the most stability and least bugs, you’d be best to run LibreOffice (or any other software) in the average environment as this is where it’s tested by the majority of people. Otherwise you’re kind of limiting your support.

Implement a proper backup schedule.

2 Likes