Only 2 languages supported

Apart from English (UK) I am frequently using German - which is supported - and French & Italian which are not supported. In the Extension Manager I see French but the icon “Bundled with LO” is off. Spanish is also on but I do not use it a lot. Spanish does not show in the drop down menu “Language” (for Selection, Paragraph, All Text).

I know LO has never been famous for language support but after all these decades it is about time to invest some manpower in this “language extension” project - what do you think?

Kind regards
Alfred

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/DE/Installieren_von_LO-64-Bit_unter_Windows_10#English:_Installing_LO_64-bit_on_Windows_10

French & Italian which are not supported

How’s that? French and Italian are some of >100 languages which UI, and of >50 dictionaries are e.g. bundled into LO installer on Windows, and are available as ready packages on every package manager in Linux distros. And the two are among most actively “supported” - so they are always up-to-date. See Language support of LibreOffice.

I know LO has never been famous for language support … what do you think?

I think that your sources of information supply you with total bullshit. You should better consult the documentation. Also:

1. Read this tutorial.
  2. If you can’t find an answer, read these guidelines and ask a good question.

it is about time to invest some manpower in this “language extension” project

LibreOfiice is a free software project, which means: go and invest.

“Bundled with LO” means someone has built a package to include languages which are “enabled” when you install the application. You can add many more but this is a voluntary and personal step. All decent OSes provide procedures (like package managers) to automate installation.

“Support” is different from “usage”. What you want in “usage”. “Support” is quite impressive in LO when you see the possibility of mixing Western and Eastern languages in the same paragraph (think of alternating words in right-to-left anf left-to-right langauges and editing the line). “Support” is a set of internal primitives able to accept languages with various writing rules.