Opening the "Edit Style" menu crashes LibreOffice Writer on Windows

I'm using LibreOffice Writer 7.4.1 on Windows 11 22H2. Whenever I attempt to open the "Edit Style" menu, the program hangs and I have to force close it. This only occurs on my laptop. On my desktop it works fine, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I file a bug report? Are there any logs I could check that may help me figure out what is going on?

If it crashes on your laptop and works fine on your desktop, it can’t be a bug in the software. In that case, it would crash everywhere. So it must be something on your laptop. For the most likely suspect, see LibreOffice user profile - The Document Foundation Wiki for help.
Please note that 7.4.1.2 is the most recent version, probably packed with new bugs. If you use LO for your work and don’t need the newest features etc., it’s safer to use a “still” version, that’d be 7.3.6.

It might be a graphics issue. Before resetting your user profile, try this. Click Tools - Options - LibreOffice - View and untick the box that is labeled Use Skia for all rendering.

Here is list of checks, some of which might apply, First steps to take before submitting a bug - The Document Foundation Wiki

Cheers, Al

There is such a thing as a hardware specific bug. Not every bug affects every user. :wink:

I have tried both the latest and still versions and both have this issue. Running in safe mode with a fresh profile also has no effect.

Disabling Skia and upgrading my graphics drivers also did not fix the problem, unfortunately. As for fonts, both my laptop and desktop should have all of the same fonts installed so I don't think that is the issue.

Okay, my first shot was too easy. :thinking: If it’s hardware specific, you need to give some information about your hardware. If you intend to file a bug report, remember that the developers will have to be able to reproduce the problem, or they won’t even start trying to fix it.

You could try re-enabling Skia and ticking the box Force Skia for all rendering .

Does it crash in safe mode? Click Help - Restart in safe mode - Continue in safe mode

I have (sort of) figured this out. I tried opening the dialog and the program froze up like it normally does, but I had to step away for a while. I was probably gone for at least 15 minutes, but when I came back the dialog was open. Now it seems to be opening quicker, so I'm not sure what was happening but it seems fixed now. Not exactly the most useful solution, but if anyone else is having a similar problem try just letting it run for a while.

Thanks to everyone who responded trying to help!

Did Windows 22H2 come out on October 1st 2022?
It is a major update; with those big ones, after the computer has rebooted I wait for 5 or ten minutes and then Restart the computer as there are often supplementary updates that are installed after the main update. Windows tends to behave oddly if it has updated and not restarted. That might have been a symptom