Page numbers reset to 1 when using Heading 1 text

This is an ultimately frustrating issue, that I already spend way too much time and stress trying to solve. I’ve noticed that the page numbers in my document restarted at 1 from a certain point. After spending a few minutes trying everything out, I have deducted it to relate to using Heading 1 - doing so will reset the page to 1. Nothing I have tried seems to fix this problem - no option anywhere, nothing that I can see. People on here keep saying it’s to do with some custom page break - I can confirm that this IS NOT THE CASE AT ALL. I’m literally at a loss as what to do, and besides offering my firstborn to Cthulhu, so as to bring pain and misery upon the cretin who decided to include that cancer… err… “feature”, I don’t know what else I can do at this point.

Please help. Anyone?

Is this happening for every Heading 1 paragraph or just for one in particular? In the first case, edit the paragraph style, on the second one right click on the paragraph → Paragraph. On both cases go to the Text flow tab and look if there is a break with change of style AND change of page numbering enabled: turn it off. If not, please attach a sample document with the problem so we can see what’s going on here.

I, too, have spent most of my time during the last 2 days with this problem.

Background: Version: 6.3.3.2 (x64)
 Build ID: a64200df03143b798afd1ec74a12ab50359878ed
 CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 10.0; UI render: GL; VCL: win; 
 Locale: en-US (en_US); UI-Language: en-US
 Calc: threaded

1: The manual states that if the Heading 1 Style is modified to select Page number and the Page number in the dialog box is set to 0 (zero), then instead of re-setting the current page number to 1, the counter will increment from the page number of the previous page. Instead, the current page number is reset to zero and previous pages are not affected.

If I try to fake this, and “increment” the page number by editing the page-number field in the footnote, the prior pages are incorrectly re-numbered with higher numbers than expected.

2: The manual states that the styles of a master document and any included document must match. Fine: but I have found that resetting the Heading 1 style to select page number and entering 0 in the dialog is inconsistently saved.

3: When I change the footnote-number style to lower-case Roman for any front matter, it is impossible to reset the footnote-number style in subsequent sections to Arabic. There appears to be one or more dysfunctional bugs affecting this.

The editor for this entry dialog seems to throw away hard newlines without providing a workaround.

Edited by ajlittoz to remove the offending formatting

Please don’t use those “-------”. They make your text being all headings, creating impression of shouting. Thanks.

The manual states that if the Heading 1 Style is modified to select Page number and the Page number in the dialog box is set to 0 (zero), then instead of re-setting the current page number to 1, the counter will increment from the page number of the previous page

Which “the manual” do you mean? For current version, there is a (rather obvious) checkbox to the left of the page number field, which, when checked, sets the number to whatever is put there (including 0). The 0 used to have that special meaning, but was incompatible with some document types that allow using 0 as page number.

Just tried to find the obsolete advice in current documentation, and failed.

@danlj: this is by no ways an answer to the original question but at least two additional questions, the first of which may be linked to the original one. The last one requires a lengthy explanation which is just another topic. So, re-issue as a new question, giving a link to this one, and I’ll provide cues.

Read these guidelines on how to provide objective information (we can’t peep on your screen to see what happens an how you do it). Moaning is no help. Usually attaching a sample file with the problem is much better.