Preserving Footnote references in Tables when converting to EPUB format?

Hello everyone,

Before I start, here’s the version of LO that I’m using.

Version: 7.6.3.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 29d686fea9f6705b262d369fede658f824154cc0
CPU threads: 10; OS: Mac OS X 13.6.1; UI render: Skia/Metal; VCL: osx
Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

I’m also working from a Mac Studio, if that makes a difference.

Now then, is there a way to preserve footnote references that are inside of a table when converting to an EPUB file?

I’ve been asked to convert a book (written in Word, then brought into Writer as ODTs from RTF files, made into a Master File, then converted back into ODT), into an EPUB. The text itself has a lot of footnotes, some of which are in the tables themselves. When I convert the document to an EPUB, all of the footnotes show their reference information except for those that are inside the table(s). For some reason, they only appear as regular text.

The really weird thing is if I make an EPUB of just the table, its title, and captions, the footnotes work fine.

I saw a potential workaround on the forums involving exporting the ODT file as PDF, then converting it to an EPUB, but I ran into the same problem: the footnotes in tables are only appearing as plain text.

Am I missing something? Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much,

-CFarren

Due to the erratic editing history of your document, could you attach a 2-page sample file exhibiting the issue? This will be easier to diagnose a possible cause.

Chapter 2 Sample.odt (29.0 KB)
Here you go, ajlittoz.

Thank you for your help!

Looks OK to me:

The notes appear after the table, not at bottom page. Apart from this similar to what Writer displays.

Despite the hectic editing history, formatting is quite neat. However, why don’t you use character styles?

I’m open to trying anything, but how exactly would the character styles help here? No sarcasm, I’m honestly curious. I’ve been learning LO as I go, and I appreciate the help.

I don’t think character styles would solve the export problem. I was mentioning their existence to allow you to escape from direct formatting. Styles are really your friends. When you do sophisticated work in Writer, your interest (and your mind sanity) is to eliminate as much DF as you can. Contrary to common belief, DF is not at all “intuitive”; it requires super guru expert skills to achieves the intended results, and this at the cost of heavy sweat and pain without the flexibility to change the whole layout/format in jiffies.

You went the wrong way because you did not explore the terrain.

Are there any “pages” in ebooks?

Yes, but the way they appear can depend on your reader/device of choice. Some like iBooks try to replicate the left-to-right look of a book, some only show you one full page at a time.

Right now the visual layout doesn’t concern me. I just want to make sure that the information is showing correctly and is legible to the reader. Hence my headache with footnotes inside of tables