print label merge fail

Using Libreoffice on Linux, I’m trying to print some labels using a spreadsheet for a source.

There is one field in the spreadsheet, “SEND”, set to “Y” or “N” to determine which rows I want to send, and when I use the autofilter just those rows show up.

However, when I go to actually print, whether to the printer or to a file, the output doesn’t appear. If it is supposed to print to the printer, no dialog comes up to select the printer or such. If I ask the merge print to save to file, it asks for an output file name, but said file never appears. (The filter doesn’t seem to make any difference - even printing all rows seems to do nothing.)


I suspect a bug affecting Linux (and probably Mac OS) systems, but there are work-arounds fortunately. See this discussion. And also this thread.

Basically it boils down to:

  1. Save the merge to a .odt document (instead of printing directly)
  2. Try printing the .odt (merged) document
  3. If that doesn’t work, try exiting and restarting LibreOffice, and then repeat step 1 and step 2

Let us know if these steps do / do not work or you.

The above answer failed, but this worked:

  1. Set up your merged document.
  2. Save the set up document without trying to merge it
  3. Close all LibreOffice applications. Kill the daemon if you have it running (I don’t).
  4. Re-open your set-up document. It will ask you if you wish to reconnect to sources. Answer yes.
  5. Print.

I have the same problem with Ubuntu 14.04 Libreoffice 5.0 . In Windows I do not have the problem when I use the same database. I did what Steve suggested. I have killed by “killall soffice.bin” all processes of Libeoffice and I got the mail merge printing labels again.