Problem with going to place last saved

All the documents were originally written in MS Word but when I’d decided to get this new computer, I began to use LibreOffice writer, then changed the docs to ODF. I used a flash drive to copy the docs to put them on this computer. As soon as the docs were in ODF format, shift + F5 was the way I used to go to the place last saved. As mentioned above, I’m proof reading them and making corrections as I go.

In a new install of LibreOffice 7.3.4.1, without user details filled in, I created a 1243 page odt by pasting together and repeating some LO User Guides. With the cursor at page 413, I saved the document and closed it.

On re-opening LibreOffice and the document it took me to page 1 as expected (no user details). When I pressed Shift+F5 it took me to the same cursor position on page 413 where I had saved previously. There doesn’t seem to be a problem with a 1200 page, 30MB document and returning to the saved position.

Version: 7.3.4.1 (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 13668373362b52f6e3ebcaaecb031bd59a3ac66b
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 22000; UI render: Skia/Vulkan; VCL: win
Locale: en-NZ (en_NZ); UI: en-GB
Calc: CL

That’ll be OK (as it was for me) for part way through the document but when you get past page 1000 or somewhere around there, that’s when I found shift + F5 didn’t work. I’m now not far from the beginning of an 800 (odd) page doc and when I open it, it goes to the place where I last saved (after an alteration). I’ve just checked and sure enough it opened where I left off.

So, in LO 7.3.4.1, I saved a small change to page 1028 and closed the document. On re-opening when I pressed Shift+F5 it opened page 771, same with second attempt.

Being aware that 7.3.4.1 wasn’t the most recent, I did a new separate installation of LO 7.3.5.1 (deleted 7.3.4.1 for space reasons). On reopening Shift+F5 took me to 1028 correctly.

• LO 7.2.6.2 - I closed and opened = correct. (This is the installation I use for working)
  • LO 7.3.2.2 - took me to page 686.

NOTE: in all instances i waited until the total page count read correctly, approx 20-30 seconds.

You might have found a bug in 7.3. It also looks as though the bug has been resolved in 7.3.5.1

Thank you for that. You found what I found?
Do LO updates actually update the version in use or have you to download the “new” version and start using that? Does that mean all the LO files have to be transfered to the “new” version?

In Windows, you need to update the installation manually: download the file and double-click to install it over the old. The user profile is retained but recent documents is reset and any Windows Jump Lists are lost. The file association is retained.

In Linux it depends on the installation; Flatpack updates automatically.

I tend to use older installations for proper work unless there is a definite need to go newer. My tests might not necessarily apply to other computers.

Further to all forgoing, what I’ve found is that when I open a document I’ve been working on, it opens at the place last saved but as I work further and further in to the document, it opens a few pages on from there, if I wait, it goes back to the correct place as the page count also counts up, but, after I’ve gone a few pages over 1000 pages, the document opens at the beginning, not where I last saved.
If I last saved at page 1007, it will open there OK, but if I last saved at page 1033, it opens at the beginning and Shift + F5 doesn’t work either.
I don’t suppose this little bug will bother many people (I nearly said bug many people) as I don’t suppose many will have documents as large as some of mine?

I opened the long document I had previously created from adding several Impress Guides together and this time LO 7.3.5.1 opened at page 686, not 1028 as it should have done. It seems sometimes it opens at correct place and sometimes not.

Do as Hrbrgr suggests and open a bug report, How to Report Bugs in LibreOffice - The Document Foundation Wiki

Note also: tdf#141586.

But https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/c/core/+/137186 should actually fix this (so the last position restored by Shift+F5 would not be lost on open for large documents which require long time to calculate their total height).

1 Like

Another couple of bugs (if that’s what they are) are that 1/ if you use a word that not in the LO dictionary it’s underlined in a Red wavy line which disappears if you “add to dictionary” but… sometimes that wavy line stays there, the only way to shift it is to delete a letter from that word and add it again.
2/ If you have inadvertently put two spaces between words, a wavy Blue line appears there and that goes as soon as you delete the extra space but… sometimes the Blue wavy line doesn’t appear.

Do you want to open a new question for these?

Ah-ha, it seems to me to that the problem seems to happen when you’re nearing the end of a long document. I’m currently working on a document with 946 pages (wide margins, header & footer and double spaced). I saved then closed on page 902. When I opened the document this afternoon it opened at the beginning! I tried adding a couple of words on that page, saving then closing. On re-opening the document, it opened at the beginning again.

When you open your document, please look at the status bar (View>Status bar menu).
On the bottom left it should say → Page 1 of 946.
Is it displayed like this right away or does it take some time until you see the 946?
If you don’t see the 946 right away, it may be that you save before LibreOffice is done counting the pages.

1 Like

Yes, when I open the document, it does say “Page 1 of 946”. When I’m working on the document it’ll say something like “Page 902 of 946”. If I save there, it flashes a green “bar” at the bottom of the page. When that stops, I might close the document. When I re-open it, it should open where I last saved and as stated above, that far in to a document, it opens at page 1.
Way in to a document, it will open at the place last saved but… it intially opens a few pages further on before (if you wait a moment) going back to the page where I last saved. That is, until I’m nearing the end and then it’s as mentioned, opening at page 1.

Well now, after all this time there’s a new development. I’m currently working on a document with 130 pages and today I re-opened it and bingo it opened at the beginning of the document instead of where I last saved it. I checked other documents and they did the same thing even though they’d previously opened at the place last saved.
I’ve done nothing to LO writer but there’s been updates to Windows 11 so might that have something to do with it?

All I’ve done is I’ve written two new documents, both of which were of a single page. Also, I note that I’m getting suggestions for the last word I’ve written. For example “Round”… a little box pops up with “Roundabout”. It seems in up-to-date versions of LOWriter there’s no way of turning off autoCorrect as the check box just isn’t there.

That’s a new question unrelated to the topic. Please start a new topic to discuss this.

Surely it’s all connected? Two “things” happening at the same time?

I’ve been seaching for possible solutions and I’ve found the same problem (opening a document reverts to the beginning instead of where last saved) in other programs using ODF so, is it some sort of bug with open source software?

Explain this:- I’ve just opened a 130 page document and lo and behold it opened at the place last saved. I’ve altered nothing so what’s going on with LO writer?

I was about to sugest a work-around because Shift + F5 didn’t work either. I was going to say that I could either take note of the page number and next time I opened the document use Ctrl + G (= go to page number)) but I’d still have to locate where I left off but then I thought that every time I ended work on a document I could add a “strange” word (not used in the doc) just before I saved. Then, when I opened the doc again, when it opened at page 1 I could use Ctrl + H (= find) and use that word to locate where I left off. I was going to do that when the document opened exactly where I’d left off last time.
This gets weirder and weirder and no-one’s got any idea how it does it or if there’s any fix for it?

1 Like