Recalculation incomplete in Calc 7.3.0.3: Possible bug

Hi,
I’ve been using LibreOffice Calc for a few years and it has worked great, so I was surprised when the following happened.
I ran an auto update to ver 7.3.0.3. yesterday and when I added a new entry to my existing spreadsheet running in Ubuntu 20.04 I have found that the simple =Sum(:) will not calculate beyond the last old entry before the update. I have ensured that the references to the cells include those in which I have put the new entries but the calc just ignores the new entries. I’ve also found that the same is happening with the CountA as well, if there were 20 entries before the update and I add a further 3 entries it still counts 20, even though the range of fields include the new entries. I have checked that the cell format is numeric and it is.
Has anyone else had this issue? or can anyone suggest a possible fix?

2 Likes

Please edit your question to upload an example file that calculated in previous version (which?) but is not working in 7.3.

Hi Joshua4, thank you for your response. Please see the subject spreadsheet attached.
Calc Test Sheet.ods (31.1 KB)

The cell M7 contains the original formula which calculated each time a new score was added to the range E11:K356. After the update the M7 formula would not work so I replaced it with the formulas in cells M8 and M 9 which feed into N8 to give the same result as the original formula in M7 used to give.

I have reentered the formula in M7 and it provides an accurate result for the values in the range at that time, but when I add a value to the range to ignores it and the result remains the same.

I apologise in advance if this is a silly error on my part, but I’ve been using spreadsheets since the Lotus 123 days and this one has me stumped.

1 Like

First, quick workaround is to use ctrl+shift+F9 to do a hard recalculate. But this looks bad. I’ll add another comment here to see if we can tag some of the gurus, and I’ll edit the title to lean toward a possible bug in 7.3. :confused:

1 Like

@Rambler1 has an ODS that behaves as if auto-calculate is partially off even when it is on, only in version 7.3.0.3 (that we’ve tried). Copying the offending sheet contents (mark all/copy/paste) to a new document still repeats the anomaly.

Description:

1. A calculated cell dependent on several other calculated cells does not update even what certain antecedent cells see a change in data and update correctly.
  2. Copied versions of the sheet contents in other sheets seem to vary in which antecedent cell dependencies do not trigger update of the dependent cell.
  3. Toggling auto-calculate has no effect.
  4. Toggling (and restarting) multi-threading seems to have no effect.
  5. Dependent cell does update after hard recalculate.
  6. Only the built-in SUM and COUNTA functions are in use at any level.

See Calc Test Sheet posted by Rambler1 in previous comment. Cell M7 does not update when individual data points are added into the data set for certain columns only, and which columns fail to trigger an update of M7 will vary in a new sheet if the contents of Sheet1 are copied and pasted onto a new sheet. Yet hard recalculate will always force an update.

I would probably use a different mix of functions to perform the task Rambler1 is doing here, but I do not see why the calculation algorithm is not picking up on these changes with auto-calculate on but then doing the calculations with a hard recalculate…and only in 7.3.0.3. I can replicate under:

Version: 7.3.0.3 (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 0f246aa12d0eee4a0f7adcefbf7c878fc2238db3
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 18363; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: en-US (en_US); UI: en-US
Calc: CL

@erAck or @Ratslinger could you have a look?

Just to add that I’m seeing the exact same issue.
I was considering downgrading because it’s a major nuisance… but thought to look here first.

Running 7.3.0.3 under ubuntu 20.04 w/ latest updates.

Please submit a bug report and attach the sample file of your comment. Thanks.

3 Likes

Sorry erAck, Was your comment to me (Rambler1) or were you responding to Joshua4?

Rambler1, if you want street cred for a bug report then you can follow erAck’s link and submit. What he’s saying is that you have to follow up a bug report with a comment on your own report, since that’s where you submit your sample document, the same one you have posted here. Feel free to copy/paste any part of my outline above, as well. You’ll see that it follows the bug report pattern.

If you don’t want to file for some reason, let us know…I think this needs to get filed. It might be a pretty fundamental concern.

Hi Joshua4,
Well I’ve submitted it along with sample file, I hope!
First time so not to sure.
Anyway thanks for your help, I did use some of your input as offered.
Cheers

3 Likes

tdf#147398

1 Like

Cheers Wanderer.

Fixed for 7.3.1.2

2 Likes