Recover file when autorecovery doesn't enabled

I was working for hours on a single Calc document when my laptop’s battery drained completely, causing it to shut down. After recharging, I opened LibreOffice, which suggested recovering the last session. I chose to recover it.

This is a file already existed and just edited. It seems not recovered even my worksheet on the spreadsheet is not switched to edited one.

I`ve checked;

• Saved Autorecovery information every xx mim but, it was not turned on yet :frowning:
  • ~/.config/libreoffice/4/user/backup directory it is empty.

So is there any alternative way to recover this file? I wish to recover very important previous day edits. Is this possible?

I’m using this package and version libreoffice-still 7.6.7-1 on x86 base linux.

Request: Is it possible to switch on as a default option of Saved Autorecovery information every xx min? Because, I think this is very key option for every user

unfortunately … :cry:

Where to place an enhancement request?

you can link it to : Dependency tree for Bug 77999

1 Like

Already done

Changes in automatic saving of documents: “Save AutoRecovery information” is turned on by default, as well as “Always create backup copies”.

is cited from release notes 24.2, but I guess users with an “older” profile will need to switch this on themselves. And I recommend not to rely on this too much. Keep a habit of saving frequently and saving manual backups seldom hurts…

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/24.2

1 Like

as a personal view, or as a disappointed reviewer ? :innocent:

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Videos/Preventing_data_disaster

1 Like

As someone who was asked often to rescue data over 40 years my advice is backup frequently. But luckily I didn’t loose important stuff myself.

1 Like

:heart_eyes_cat:
I’m trying to write a bash script to synchronize my files, handling up to 500GB of data to manage changes. I’m testing it with a sample set, but I’m not sure if it will work correctly in a real scenario. I need to synchronize arbitrary folders between three specific local disks. Do you have any suggestions about the following potential issues?

1. Relocation Changes: If files are relocated, should I handle these changes manually before running the synchronization script, or should I do semi-automatically which approvovement based changes?
  2. Minor Changes: For the initial synchronization, should I ignore very small changes and handle them gradually, or is it better to include them from the start?
  3. Cron/Service Jobs: Do you know of any common server-based cron or service job systems for Linux that could be useful for this purpose further setup on my mind?
  4. Additional Considerations: Are there any other factors or potential problems I should be aware while setting up this synchronization process?

Forget about bash-scripts and try to use a version control system like git or a repository based backup like BorgBackup. Also there is FreeFileSync as an example…
Problems: For encrypted and compressed data there are no minor changes, so you may need to use .fodt instead of .odt in Writer to improve efficiency.
Other formats may have their own issues, like resized or converted pictures. (I use a database wish EXIF-data to find out wich are versions of the same photo…).

1 Like
2 Likes