Registering a spreadsheet as a data source

I have a spreadsheet saved as sheet.ods. I want to use this as a data source in a writer file (specifically with Basic Report Extension). I had this working on my old computer which I think was using an older version of LibreOffice but when I go to Tools>Options>Base>Databases it will only let me search for ODF files so I can’t add it. And I can’t see an option in the Save As menu in Calc to save the spreadsheet as sheet.odf. My current version is 5.1.6.2 on Ubuntu 16.04.

Hello,

Only databases are registered. You must first create a Base file connected to the spreadsheet data. Please see answer in this post.

Thanks. Should updating the spreadsheet be reflected in the base file now? I could only get my report to generate using data that was in the spreadsheet when the base file was created. I need to keep adding to the spreadsheet so will I need to add in an extra step of opening the base file before generating my report? Or is there some option I need to check that I haven’t?

@quorlia First, you are welcome. Second, please do not post responses as answers. Instead use comment for answer you are responding to. Answers are to respond to original question.

In answer to latest question you will get updated info in base depending. With Writer, if data sources is opened, WYSIWYG. Now with writer closed, if the data in Calc linked to Base is a Named Range, you must change that range to reflect in Base. Testing seems to reflect the need to re-open Base to get changes.

Sorry. Thanks for putting me straight on using the board. And thanks for the quick response. At least I know what’s going on now.