Return results by putting "=" in front of expressions in another cell

I have a mathematical expression in one cell. Say, A1 contains “300×1 + 200×2”. There is no equal sign in front of the expression. I want an equal sign to be put in front of the expression and obtain the result (ie. 700) in another cell. Is there a formula available for the same? It is not manually possible to put “=” in front of every expressions as the data contains huge no. of such expressions.

Do not enter any direct calculations inside the cell.
Clear would be e.g:
A1 contains 3001; B1 contains 2002
write in C1, =A1+B1

The issue in doing so, is that, I need to show the calculation so that it is visible. Hence, omitted “=” in front of it. In the next cell I would like to have the result, obtained. by putting an “=” in front of it. Is it possible to achieve this?

This is not difficult to do with a macro if you upload an example file.

There is no “Evaluate”-like functions in Calc.
You may, however, reverse your order: put =300*1+200*2 in B1, and =FORMULA(B1) in A1. You may further post-process the result of FORMULA function, like removing the leading = character, using usual spreadsheet functions.

2 Likes

1 Like

That is also convenient for me. Thank you.

Just for fun I made a “useless thing”. The code contained in the attached example can create working formulas from their equal-sign-less representation for a complete range of cells.
disask80459makeFormulasFromExpressions.ods (15.9 KB)

[Creating the working formulas in a probably hidden helper document can even be used to get an EVALUATE() function. It can, of course, not handle references correctly without a lot of additional overhead.]

1 Like

Do you mean this joke?

@JohnSUN:
I only joined that other forum in 2014, and didn’t know the linked post, but I like to joke sometimes in a similar way. “Brothers in Mind”? The trick to get a result shown in a sheet despite its being blocked against direct side-effects of user-functions may sometimes actually be useful. In fact I even used a complete hidden SpreadsheetDocument [created by loadComponentFromURL(“private:factory/scalc”, …)] now and then for efficient sorting and filtering by user code when I wanted to be sure on a paranoic level that no formula results could be changed due to an additionally inserted hidden sheet in the original document. [SHEETS() function? Of course, a user function may even return the number of loaded documents. There are no limits to paranoia?]

1 Like

Thank you. However, I have no idea about macros yet and have never used them. So I am going to learn.

We don’t know for what purpose you needed to calculate the value of the text expression. If this is a visual aid for children learning arithmetic, then the joke at the link above should completely satisfy you. If this is some kind of business project with calculated values ​​and you need to explain where these numbers come from, then use FORMULA () (in this case, you do not need to know anything about macros)