Searching for multiple words in a cell or row

Hi, apologises in advance if this is the dumbest question imaginable, Ive looking for an answer, but cant find one. Im new to calc and I know this isnt what it is designed for. Ive been using it, at least in this case, as a basic inventory and it works great. Except…

Is there a way to search for multiple words in the same cell. For example if I have a cell containing the words “Big Red Ball” I can search for and find “Big Red” and “Red Ball”, but is there a way to search for Big and Ball?

Alternatively, if I have Big, Red and Ball in 3 seperate cells in the same row is there a way to search for that row using a combination of the 3 words?

Thanks

qa109942.ods (20.4 KB)

1 Like

you can go with Find dialog and regular expressions :

Big.+Ball for a sequence,
Big.+Ball|Ball.+Big if order doesn’t matter.

Same with REGEX Function

you can concatenate them in a 4th column and apply the same.

2 Likes

Thanks
Took me a while to figure out what was going on as its more complex than how I interact with calc, but I can see a few scenarios where this will come in really useful.

Could I ask how you got the cells with positive results to highlight?

And thanks fpy also.

Never heard of concatenate before but again very useful

https://help.libreoffice.org/24.2/en-US/text/scalc/guide/cellstyle_conditional.html?DbPAR=CALC#bm_id3149263
My conditional formatting tests if the corresponding cell in F10:H12 evaluates to True or False.

Welcome!
It seems to me that this problem has already been solved in this topic - How to find a text *within* a cell in - #44 by JohnSUN