Table of Contents keys

Dear all,
I am trying to establish a ToC to my own satisfaction and failing miserably !!!
[simplified explanation]In my document I have a sequence of contiguous pages that are to be placed in the ToC, referenced with IDENT1, with the first page only as the ToC start page number. No problems so far. Later in the same document, there are other areas applicable to IDENT1 that I wish to reference in the ToC. Again, no major problems. My quandary is that I wish to use the “1st key” and “2nd key” fields in the ToC Index Entry to add extra information applicable to the ENTRY1 [and other ENTRYx references]. However, and this is the crux of my question, when do “1st key” and “2nd key” become ‘live’ inputtable, editable entities that I can add details to that will be reflected in an updated ToC?. They always seem to be greyed out no matter what I do and this is beginning to irritate me - so lots of shouting at my laptop! If it is any sort of relevance I am using LO 7.5.5.2 on a 64-bit, Windows 10 machine.
many thanks
ADB

I am not sure to understand your problem. “1st key” and “2nd key” are related to alphabetical index while TOCs are generated from paragraphs styled with Heading n family.

So, reduce your document to a couple of pages and attach it to your question (by editing it = modify it with the “pencil tool” hidden under the icon); no need to add a comment to attach.

You want to make an alphabetical index. A TOC (Table Of Contents) is something else.

Enter the main item for the index, let’s say your book is about the weather. You enter Cold as item, then Key1 becomes live. Enter something there, for example Weather, then Key2 becomes live. Enter something like Winter there. The index will then have Winter > Weather > Cold (taken from the inbuilt Help).

Does the attached document here approach what you are trying to achieve?
ToCpreamble.odt (11.1 KB)

I assume that the above is a “partial workaround” for your desired outcome. To complete the workaround, so the preambles “disappear” from running text:
Set the Preamble paragraph style to a very small font size (say, 1pt) and text color white. The inserted paragraphs will then appear as some extra spacing below the headings. Finally, adjust spacing for Heading, Preamble and Text body styles to achieve desired layout.

The Content 2 style governs the appearance within ToC, so you will still see the preamble content there.

To edit the preambles, adjust the font settings for the Preamble style back to something sensible, then readjust as outlined above to hide again.

The process could be simplified a bit by utilizing conditional styles, but I find that this feature still does not work reliably in LibreOffice Writer. I will look further into it some time. For now the manual change of style settings is the best I can suggest.

Dear all
Thanks or the comments and suggestions - I have yet to be convinced that it is an alphabetical index that I require [the document subject does not lend itself to that, but let me play around]. I’ll also look at the downloadable example and I’ll try and get back to everyone in the next few days - work takes preference for the next few days and as I haven’t [yet !] won the Lottery, I need to earn my crust somehow.

Have accepted this as the answer due to the downloadable example and the suggestions on my required solution. Having played around using the suggestions from all involved, nomenclature seems to have played a part here - the results that come out using the ‘alphabetic index’ solution is what I personally would describe as a Table of Contents but, language aside, I have found what I need to do so many thanks to all involved.