Trying to use MATCH (which matches in another tab) - crashes - WHY? - no error codes given - just CRASHES - WHY?!?!

trying to use MATCH (which matches in another tab) - crashes - WHY? - no error codes given - just CRASHES - WHY?!?!

repaired/reinstalled libreoffice
tried match again - error

rebooted computer
tried match again - error

version 24.2.5.2
windows 10

Assuming it isn’t a graphical error (always best to copy details from Help > About LibreOffice), then it might be a calculation error, see First steps to take before submitting a bug - The Document Foundation Wiki(OpenCL)

If changing the settings there doesn’t help, then try changing the Skia settings, shown in link below OpenCL.

Otherwise, please prepare a small anonymised sample which also crashes.

qa108230.ods (69.5 KB) Does this crash?

CRASHES - WHY?!?!

Because of a bug.

Firstly backup your document before testing.
Create a new document with the same layout, and try using the same formula. This can rule out a calculation error or a problem elsewhere in the document.
If it still crashes upload the new document here so we can see what’s going on.
If it doesn’t crash it’s likely not the MATCH formula causing the issue. Open the original document and work backwards, replacing formula generated data with hard coded data. This can rule out data or calculation issues elsewhere prior to calculating MATCH.

well no BUT you already have the MATCH in the cell - which i do also in many other sheets - trying to ENTER MATCH in the cell and it crashes thus the frustration that there is no reason, no error code, no log?

how is it a bug?!?!?!

Any crash is a bug. You suppose that there is any reason that can justify a crash? A message box, or a tooltip, or red background for a user error are OK, but program crash is never a proper program behavior.

OK. And what happens when you load my document and edit my formulas, so you create new MATCH formulas in my document?

had some time to look into this again and what i found is that a ‘-’ (dash) is not allowed in a tab name
at first i thought it was because the sheets were filtered, so filtered the data that was needed copied that to another sheet tried to the MATCH command in the cell - crash :frowning:
unfiltered all sheets - same crash :frowning:
opened another sheet and copied data - did not change the sheet name and was able to enter the MATCH command - success!!!
renamed sheet with a ‘-’ entered the MATCH command - crash :frowning: (but success because that flashed the light bulb!
renamed sheet with a ‘_’ (underscore) or just a space - able to enter the MATCH command

so in conclusion - i THINK the issue is you can’t have a ‘-’ in a sheet name
this would be nice to have an error message instead of a crash without any information

Could you please attach a sample file, where you have such a name, and put the formula that crashes, just put ' before the formula to make it a text, and avoid its execution?

qa108230_2.ods (62.0 KB)
Dashes make no difference for me. Tested with

Version: 24.2.4.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 51a6219feb6075d9a4c46691dcfe0cd9c4fff3c2
CPU threads: 4; OS: Linux 5.15; UI render: default; VCL: x11
Locale: de-DE (de_DE.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

and same release on Windows 10 (64 bit).