Two column section continues to end of page with empty space

If I create a two column section, it forces the columns to continue to the end of the page no matter what.

I created a section and it worked correctly. Puting that section between the two normal sections text, but the second I change it to 2 columns, it puts the 3 paragraphs in one of the two columns and forces it to continue both blank columns to the end of the page with the normal section without columns beginning on the next page.

Windows 10
Lo: 7.5.4.2
Odf file

• The section before being added while showing the setting about to be saved.
  • The section added with text before and after still touching the section while showing the 2 columns setting about to be saved.
  • the final setting is saved showing the section with the 2 Columns extending with empty space

Combined due to new user restrictions

Edit your question (= modify it, don’t use a comment) to mention OS name, LO version and save format.
Improve the description by providing more details on what you’ve actually done.
For best advice, attach your file (max. 2-3 pages).

SInce as a newbie, I can’t upload 2 files, heres the odt file (and you can’t edit the original after x time?)

This is the most pared down file I can get it. It contains one section where the two columns continue to the end of the page and one waiting to be created to see it happen again. It appears to be linked to the only image left in the file. Removing it seems to cause the things to reset.

It is really strange, It was hard to narrow it down to that image, the changes didn’t always happen in real time, and the really interesting part …

the really interesting part is that deleting the image in this file, causes the rest of the files open to reset too, till all are closed and only the full 116 page document is opened back up

Seems like it may be a bug? or some feature attached to the way the image is uploaded or laied out? i.e. a feature not bug?

section columns test final 200.odt (278.5 KB)

I don’t see anything unusual in your file and result is according to specification.

The problem is in your heavy direct formatting where you easily lose track of what you’ve added over the built-in paragraph styles. Among these direct formatting you have frequently a request for a page break preceding the paragraph which effectively leaves a huge blank space.

IMHO the image has nothing to do with your problem. You create a real mess by trying to customise the styles and, e.g., the hierarchy in Tools>Chapter Numbering.

You should learn how to use styles, and all of them. All your changes inside a paragraph are done with direct formatting instead of character styles. Your inconsistent use of paragraph styles creates spurious chapter or subchapter headings which, by chance, are not included in the TOC. Not sure about that, but you seem to vertically space your text with empty paragraphs.

As soon as a document is larger than 3 pages, you can’t successfully format and lay it out without styles (paragraph, character, page, frame, list). The sample you provided does not make big hope for a satisfactory and painless result.

I recommend you read the Writer Guide for an introduction to styles (unfortunately this is not a tutorial) and you make a break in your writing to practice on short dependable 1-3 page documents.