Unable to retrieve previous version of my manuscript

I am using version 7.4.2.3

I added a new chapter to a 180-page manuscript and was shocked to find that the 10-page chapter I pasted had replicated itself over 50 times AND deleted my original manuscript!

I attempted to find the previous version of the file right by right-clicking on the manuscript file, and going to properties to recover the previous version, and found there is no previous version available. Is there any way to recover my original 180-page manuscript?

If you saved your work, the bad copy replaced the original file.

Your only hope if you have no backup resides in “scavenging” utilities. Modern file system use journaling. Usually, they then write the file in another location when saving instead of overwriting. You didn’t mention your OS-name. These utilities are OS-specific and generally provided by third-party. They scan your disc, trying to salvage deleted file contents. Result is not guaranteed but it is better than nothing.

For the future, adopt a strict backup strategy for your important files. File>Save a Copy allows to save your working document under a different name without leaving your current session (and keeping current name). You could name your backup copies something like My_document_title_YYYY-MM-DD.

Seems there is an extension for always save a copy.
https://extensions.libreoffice.org/en/extensions/show/timestamp-backup

Thank you for your response. Can you pls give me the names of such utilities I might use. Google search of scavanging utilities did not reveal any.

Nur zur Info.
Wenn Du also mit einem solchen Tool arbeiten möchtest, solltest Du bis dahin keinerlei Speicherungen (auf der Festplatte) vornehmen, da sonst die evtl. reparierbare Datei überschrieben werden könnte.

Golden rule.
So if you want to work with such a tool, you should not make any saves (on the hard disk) until then, otherwise the possibly repairable file could be overwritten.

1 Like

@Hrbrgr: it is not only “info”, it is a golden rule.
@provlima1: I am under Linux and you still didn’t mention your OS name.

1 Like

@ajlittoz
thanks for your response I’m using W11

Photorec, recuva.

And for google use recover deleted files and add your OS to the line.

Try this.