Unexpected: New page inserted before current page

I thought I was a seasoned user of LO… but I find some aspects of the Insert -> Image behavior perplexing.
The first image on a page is no problem. The second image invariably goes on top of the first one if there is no text. If I fill up an entire page with images and hit Insert -> Page Break the new page is inserted before the current page even though the text cursor is at the bottom. I expected it after. The images have Wrap set to None and I have tried various anchor positions for the images.
There must be some basic logic that I have managed to overlook. The layout becomes predictable if images are placed in frames but that incurs the additional burden of managing twice the number of objects.

EDIT: Attached a test document containing only a heading and three adjacent images. The weird thing is when I place the text insertion cursor at the bottom followed by Insert -> Page Break. The new page appears above all the images. It actually seems impossible to extend the document downwards. A newline also goes above the images.
The solution seems to be Anchor -> As Character for the images. There will be a small gap between the images but newline and page break behave as expected. Unticking Allow Overlap has no effect when inserting a new image. The new image always goes on top of the topmost one (which I would consider overlap).
Many thanks for your efforts.

Version: 7.3.7.2 / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 30(Build:2)
CPU threads: 16; OS: Linux 5.15; UI render: default; VCL: kf5 (cairo+xcb)
Locale: sv-SE (en_GB.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Ubuntu package version: 1:7.3.7-0ubuntu0.22.04.4
Calc: threaded
insert-image-test.odt (913.7 KB)

I am not exactly sure what your question is but maybe this will answer it.

If you click Tools > Options > LibreOffice Wriiter > Formatting Aids and under Image select Anchor As Character, then the images will go in one after the other without overlapping, just like text.

The disadvantage is that you cannot adjust the position of the image anymore than you can adjust the position of text unless you change the anchoring for individual images.

Default settings have changed in a “close past” (perhaps between 6.x and 7.0 or during 7.x life) for frame wrap properties. While Allow overlap was off, it is now systematically on.

When Allow overlap is off, Writer offsets frame and images so that they no longer overlap.

Regarding your page break issue, your description is not precise enough. By default, a page break occurs before the cursor position. Only special breaks (or those in Text Flow tab of styles) can request break after the paragraph. However, after-breaks are more difficult to integrate nicely in a document.

When you say the break inserts “before” current page, how do you measure that effect? Do you base the statement on text contents or on image? In the latter case, the relative position of anchor point and break play a major role. If you insert the break in the anchor paragraph, there is a high probability the break is set before the paragraph and the anchor moves to next page, carrying the image with it.

For detailed analysis, attach a sample file. Make sure the problem is still present.